Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feces with red tint page

Primal Fuel

I noticed this morning that my feces had a noticeable red tint on it. I have also seen this happen before. But i did eat yesterday beets + blood sausage. Could this explain the color or is it symptom of some internal bleeding?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Beets will do it every time.

Just like asparagus will make your pee smell funny ;-)

They really should post a warning label at the produce section...

OK, nice to know it's known issue. To be sure I'm still going to experiment by having a break from beets and then eating massively to see if i can replicate it.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

You'll replicate it... From http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/beets.htm

The red colour of the beetroot does not come from carotenes, but from anthocyanin pigments. Betacyanin and betaxanthin are the water soluble red betalain pigments in beets, becoming more intensely red when such acids as lemon juice or vinegar are added, or turn slightly blue in such an alkaline solution as baking soda and water. The ability to metabolize the betacyanins and betaxanthins is genetic. People with two recessive genes for this trait cannot break down these red pigments and, therefore, will excrete them, causing the urine and feces to turn a bright red. However, this discolouration will not cause a false-positive result in a test for occult blood.

Sooze

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member

I love beets. I think one of the reasons I love them so much is that if you eat a bunch of them your poop will turn absolutely magenta colored. Your pee get's a pink tint too.

Pink pee + pink poop = amusing to me. But I might be a little odd.

Definitely not internal bleeding. If you did have some sort of internal bleeding, your poop would be black looking I've heard.

maba is offline Senior Member

Happens to me everytime I eat beets, I wouldn't worry about it.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

HAHAA i may have to try beets just to see uf my poo pooo turns magenta!!!!!!!!!

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Yup, beets give you purple poop (and pinkish pee sometimes as well). I've often had the "OMG cystitis? Wait...no, just beetroot" moments.

I remember once producing a lurid green offering after a night out drinking cocktails. Blue curacao is pretty interesting stuff, apparently...

Athena is offline Senior Member

BEETS! scare me everytime hahaha "OH NO im dying!! wait..no i just ate borsht..."

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

hahahahaha yes another BEETS! comment.

I'm going to eat some beets today. Definitely will have reddish poo later on. Happens every time.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast