Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying paleo on unemployment page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Check out the nourishing traditions cookbook (often available at the library) and weston A price. This style of eating focuses on keeping the nutrient dense foods that are encouraged in primal eating, but adds in beans, rice, and some grains that have been soaked and prepared in a way that will greatly reduce the anti-nutrients. Dried beans with rice are quite filling and inexpensive and if made with homemade chicken stock and a good source of fat can be fine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

carlh is offline Senior Member
    This is just like every other "paleo on a budget" thread, you just happen to be on unemployment instead of a college student or starving artist or whatever. Try the search box for dozens of similar topics in addition to the good advice already posted here!

Michelle1015 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for your advice! I am currently trying to decide which bills not to pay so we can still eat anything at all (I wish I was joking), but I have compiled all the ideas I haven't yet implemented into my shopping and will give it a go!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    If you want to talk budgeting/planning in PM, I'd be happy to help.

When DH and I were married, we started out on a $35k/annum income in a fairly high COL area (philly surrounds). Over the decade, he just about kept up with inflation, but we always lived really well -- being WAPF/Primal since about 2000 (we were married in 2002, but living together before then, obviously). My income was secondary/discretionary (paying my debts, travel, etc).

We are currently living on a very low income (due to our business) in a very high COL area. We still have no debt (other than my student loans, which we pay), and we still eat primal (paying over $350/wk on food, because food is expensive here).

So, I'd be happy to help. PM is easier.

ArrGee is offline Member
    - Sale vegetables w/ cheap meats and/or organs cooked together as soups or stews.

- If you must have cheap, empty starch calories, consider white rice instead of bread and pasta.

- No eating out

- Waste nothing. Get creative w/ leftovers.

- Consider IF

Best of luck on your job search!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRdnWCd/]

Just wanted to say sorry about your unemployment. I was there for 10 months, and it was really difficult financially and emotionally. The silver lining, though, is that you have much more time to spend cooking and exercising!! You can really only spend so many hours a day job-hunting.
    Perhaps you could volunteer some time at a farm or farmer's market, in exchange for food?
    Best of luck!

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I am doing this on minimum funds as well, I frequently IF so the Kid can eat. I also hunt squirrels and pigeons and rabbits and woodchucks. I buy a lot of offal meats, go to a cheap local fruit market and get veggies that are almost too ripe. I add rice and Sweet potatoes to this for the kid and wife.

I would be gardening as well, we grow our own spices but space for a garden is not available. I ride my bike rather than drive or take the bus if at all possible.

Look up locally and see if there is any organised freegans in your area, they can help show you how to forage in an urban setting, It means a lot more work but it can be done.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are there any food coops in your area? We have one and you can be a working member - 3-4 hours a week (depending on family size) gets you 24% off everything you buy there. And once a month they give a coupon for an extra 10% off your current discount. Sure, they sell 6$/lb tomatoes and 20$/lb steak but they also sell a lot of "conventional" fruits and vegetables for the same and sometimes less than the regular grocery chains. They also sell bulk spices, oils, vinegars, etc.

Also, the ethnic grocery stores near me (usually Asian) sell lots of staples for a lot less - I just got back and got:
    onions - 49 cents/lb (vs upto 2$ at the local chain)
    jicama - 89 cents/lb (vs 2$)
    coconut milk (Aroy-D - the "good" kind) - 1.59 a can vs upto $3 a can
    2 big trimmed bunches of cilantro - 1.50 - vs 2$ each

Again, worth checking out if they are in your area.

Also, if you have the time not having a job call some local farms and ask if you volunteered some hourly labor if they trade you food (since you don't want any official "employment").

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12