Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There and back again....an ongoing lesson in a new way of life. page

BrodieMN is offline Member

There and back again....an ongoing lesson in a new way of life.

Shop Now
    After college, I have been on a roller coaster of weight gain and loss. I grew up in a SAD with more of a focus on junk food. My mom was a enabler for bad eating habits. I was fairly active and I left college at 5'9" 170. Over the years I have climbed up as high as 215 and down to 189 currently. I flirted with 175 several times over that 20+ years of time, but never lower.

My weight loss started with Atkins and for anyone who read the book knows the way of life as far as food is concerned is quite similar in many ways. I remember how I lost weight effortlessly and how good I felt. I remember people saying I was crazy. I remember watching people make fun of the "diet"/way of life especially on my favorite TV show Arrested Development. I remember the agriculture secretary for CA saying on ABC news how she couldn't understand how Atkins didn't allow people to eat apples....I screamed at the TV "the book never stated that."

But, I remember the cheats for me...uhg. A piece of pizza here or McDonalds there. Or how I would get a cup and fill it with half diet and half regular coke thinking it was mostly diet. Or during cards night thinking "Oh what the heck" I will eat those chips and re-start tomorrow. I LOVE CHIPS. I know that stuff will kill me.

Hopefully, my head is in a better place now. Everywhere I look, I see fat people. I work for a health insurance company and I see fat people. I thought 20lbs overweight was "OK", but I know it is not. I know it is not. I love this site and the wonderfull information on here. I admit I wash my face with honey...wow that stuff rocks.

I just can't cheat. I have history on my side to show me why. It has sunk in. I was on vacation reccently traveling by car and we stopped at McDonalds often. A grilled chicken salad and water was very satisfying. I would have never ordered that....never. I walk barefoot everyday (not sure what I will do in the winter). My feet feel fantastic, but I have to admit walking on asphalt is very hard. Who decided to add little pebbles to road surfaces? Good lord those take a while to get use to. I also started taking ice baths and I have to admit I sleep better. I use to only sleep 5 hrs a night and now I added an hour and I don't feel tired in the afternoon.

I am not in a hurry to get to my goal of 165, so I plod along. Next up is some sprinting.

I spend all day at work with dress shoes on. My feet were killing me before I started walking barefoot every morning for 20 min.

I want to toughen them up for a couple of sprints.

I tried to incorporate a fast yesterday. Went to the horsetrack last night and it was $1 night....WTF. I had two hot dogs without the bun. There went the fast

This moring I walked barefoot again. My feet feel fabulous now. I just wish there were fewer pebbles...those hurt. I am not sure I want to buy those ridiculous looking "shoes" I see Mark referencing.

This weekend was good as I ate fairly primal and played alot. I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't feel hungry. I tried almond butter for the first time. Yummy! I also made a low carb pizza with a crust made of cheese and chicken....wierd I know, but fairly tasty. I long for a crunchier crust though

I will see if the scale moves by Thur. I want to lose 2 lbs a week and I understand it is not linear, but I have been at the same weight for a week. My body may be "moving things around."

Scale moved Now at 187.

Last night, I tried low carb pizza made with almond flour...yuck. I will look for another recipe.

This morning I did several sprints on my to the convenience store for a cup of coffee. Before leaving I noticed my right shoe has wear on the heal. I have nothing on the left shoe. I wonder if I am walking differently? I wonder if walking barefoot might help this.....wierd.

I am now at 186.

I went swimming on Sat. and the water was much cooler. Earlier it was like bath water. Later in the evening, I went on a long leisurly bike ride. I am not a fan of bike rides. My rear was very sore afterwards. I think I need to buy a different seat.

I drank a little on Sat and Sun. Captain morgan with diet coke is very tasty. I was up 2lbs on Sunday....wierd things happen when I step on the scale after drinking.

I started tracking my food intake with Lose It for iPhone. Looking back at my history, I think I need to eat more greens....I am not a fan of them This weekend, I tried greek yogurt with blueberries added. For anyone that says it tastes great all I can say is it reminds me of less flavorful sour cream.

Now at 185.5

It is weird...I have had a couple of drinks 3 out of the last 4 days and lost weight...hmm. I am not a big drinker or maybe I am?

Last night, I had salmon, chicken and a salad. Salmon is so tasty...but super expensive. Geez, salmon is going to have to be an indulgence. I made a pizza the other day with a portabella mushroom crust.....not bad. I am still looking for something that resembles a pizza crust...search goes on.

I am amazed at how much better my feet feel. I am trying to get the kids to go barefoot more...baby steps.

I am going on a scout camp the rest of this week. I imagine my diet will radically change, but I am hoping that all the activity will counter act some of the food I will be eating.
    Last edited by BrodieMN; 08-01-2012 at 06:39 AM.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodieMN View Post
    I tried to incorporate a fast yesterday. Went to the horsetrack last night and it was $1 night....WTF. I had two hot dogs without the bun. There went the fast

This moring I walked barefoot again. My feet feel fabulous now. I just wish there were fewer pebbles...those hurt. I am not sure I want to buy those ridiculous looking "shoes" I see Mark referencing.
    Try Minnetonka softsole mocs--only about 36 bucks on Amazon and free shipping. Almost like barefoot but will help with the pebbles and oh so comfortable!

I attended a scout camp in NW WI with my youngest from Wed. through Sat. The food was not very primal at all. I did my best up until the campfire in which I indulged on a smore....oh well. I haven't weighed myself yet, so we shall see.

I sure did a lot of walking and got a little swimming in. My son had an awesome time. His favorite activity was going to the Pit of Life....where things go to Die. Basically it is an enclosed area where turtles, frogs and snakes mingle. If the kids found a frog they would throw it in and watch the painted turtles tear it apart. I had no idea turtles could be so vicious. It was interesting to watch some of the kids who were saddened by the death of the frog. The councilors were like "hey, it aint no picnic for creatures." We saw a really big black bear too. The kids really thought it was neat.

This week back to primal with a goal to eat more greens.

185.5....not bad seeing that I ate crappy last week. I did notice my waist was 39 and 7/8.

Had a salad last night with a little ceasar dressing that tasted horribly. Even my son said it was bad. Into the garbage it goes for tomorrow. Walked about 50 minutes last night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast