Thread: Omega 6 question page

Seanogee is offline Junior Member

Omega 6 question

Primal Fuel
    Hello folks,
    I started CrossFit this spring and they got me going on the Paleo/Primal eating. So far it's really helping. I've read most of Mark's stuff (and Rob Wolfe's and others) and I understand what the deal is with the different fats, pretty well (I'm still learning every day!). My question comes from "PaleoTrack". It's a useful tool for me in analyzing and keeping track of what I am eating, but every day it tells me I am "consuming too many omega-6 fatty acids". When I check the numbers, I see that I am getting them from sardines, eggs (organic) and avocados, etc. I thought those were good fats that I am supposed to eat.
    Can someone help me out with this?

Sean

jakey is offline Senior Member
    sardines will not contribute to n-6 in any meaningful way, that seems completely wrong. they're chock full of n-3s. if those are the sources of n-6 in your diet, you have nothing to worry about.

people fall into issues if they eat too many nuts. but cutting seed oils has got to be the single biggest thing you can do right!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    conventional eggs can skew high in omega-6 because of their feed. buy pastured, free-range eggs instead. those score well for omega-3.

the sardines and avocado contain 0mega-6, but not the harmful inflammatory type as found in seed oils.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

That's really good to know. I thought that was the case, but I was having a hard time figuring it out. I stay away from seed oils. Everything is coconut oil, olive oil and some MCT (for salads and stuff like that). I eat free range organic eggs at home (organic everything as much as possible). It doesn't work out at restaurants, of course, but I'm staying the course.
    Thanks again for the help. I'm almost 60 and I don't want to screw this up.

Sean

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanogee View Post
    That's really good to know. I thought that was the case, but I was having a hard time figuring it out. I stay away from seed oils. Everything is coconut oil, olive oil and some MCT (for salads and stuff like that). I eat free range organic eggs at home (organic everything as much as possible). It doesn't work out at restaurants, of course, but I'm staying the course.
    Thanks again for the help. I'm almost 60 and I don't want to screw this up.

Sean

Almost 60 too - and I find it has helped me greatly over the past 2.5 years. Cutting out seed oils, and removing all grains except white rice, and either eating lots of fish or taking a fermented cod liver oil pill seem to have had amazing anti inflammatory effects. Like - psoriasis a thing of the past, asthma much improved, the few ache-y joints I was getting have stopped giving any trouble (even after a LONG car journey, I can now get out and walk, without having that almost hobbling the first few paces!)

Makes me feel SO MUCH YOUNGER, and it doesn't hurt at all when I get the "you CAN"T be going to be 60!" comments!

Good luck

RaiseFitness is offline Junior Member
    Omega-6 is omega-6. They are all the harmful inflammatory type, but necessary in low quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Almost 60 too - and I find it has helped me greatly over the past 2.5 years. Cutting out seed oils, and removing all grains except white rice, and either eating lots of fish or taking a fermented cod liver oil pill seem to have had amazing anti inflammatory effects. Like - psoriasis a thing of the past, asthma much improved, the few ache-y joints I was getting have stopped giving any trouble (even after a LONG car journey, I can now get out and walk, without having that almost hobbling the first few paces!)

Makes me feel SO MUCH YOUNGER, and it doesn't hurt at all when I get the "you CAN"T be going to be 60!" comments!

Good luck
    I'm feeling SO MUCH BETTER than I was. I'm much stronger, because of the Crossfit and with it and the Paleo, I am seeing abs again for the first time in many years. I'm still recovering from old back injuries (exacerbated by running with my Crossfit instructor on my back), but they keep getting better every day. I get that too, "You can't be that old. You're the same age as that guy".

Omega-6 is omega-6. They are all the harmful inflammatory type, but necessary in low quantities.
    Well, that's what's confusing. The ratios for sardines and avocados seems to be exactly what I'm supposed to avoid.

Sean

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanogee View Post
    Well, that's what's confusing. The ratios for sardines and avocados seems to be exactly what I'm supposed to avoid.
    ... according to the tool you're using.

But:

(a) it's estimating the quantities in the foods you're listing (and perhaps doing so incorrectly);
    (b) it's scolding you on the basis of a pre-determined figure that it really couldn't justify.

AFAICT, there's no DRI (formerly RDA) for these, although the U.S. Government has an AI for them. See here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI...ull_report.pdf

What's an AI?

Adequate Intake (AI), where no RDA has been established, but the amount established is somewhat less firmly believed to be adequate for everyone in the demographic group.
    Dietary Reference Intake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there you go. The DRIs (RDAs) might often not have much rationale behind them -- that would be an interesting topic for discussion in itself -- but here the U.S. Government doesn't feel sure enough even to set one.

So where did the tool's figures come from? Well, they can't have done anything much more sophisticated than pluck them out the air.

In truth there's actually a lot of controversy about how much of the EFAs needs. It really wouldn't be possible for anyone to say that everyone should have X amount of this and Y amount of that.

If you want to go deep into the controversy, then the thing to do would be to get this report:

Special Report — How Essential Are the Essential Fatty Acids?

I doubt anyone needs to worry hugely about the issue if he's not consuming industrial seed oils and is eating some oily fish regularly. Personally, i'm not going to worry about real wholefoods like avocadoes. And certainly you shouldn't worry about sardines -- that's probably a case of data being wrongly entered in the database the tool uses.

I think these tools can give you an interesting overview when used now and then. I wouldn't take them too seriously, and I certainly don't let them lead me by the nose. I'm suspicious enough of Fitday, but Paleotrack when I've used it seems so flaky -- with, in particular, entered values changing for no particular reason; and calorie totals and macronutrient ratios clearly very far wrong, and confirmed so when compared with other tools -- that I just wouldn't trust it.

I wouldn't let any tool put you off ordinary healthy wholefoods.

Yeah, I've noticed that about Paleotrack. Numbers change all on their own. I was hoping it would prove to be a good tool for me to keep track. I don't generally like being that "obsessive". I'm one of the only ones in our running club that doesn't track my mileage. I think I'll take your advice and not worry about it. I'm doing the primal/paleo. Organic when possible, always fresh. Grass fed whenever I can get it, no grains, no dairy, no legumes. Just a few seeds. Plus I run and do Crossfit. If that's not enough, I think I'm hosed anyway.
    Thank you very much!

Sean