Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: David's Fasting Journal

Shop Now
    WOOT! Congratulations! And I'm with you on the fermented foods. I try to eat some every day. I have a good source of raw milk kefir, I work that in as often as I can. I'd like to eat more fermented things. And I think you are right about the sugar.

A couple of years ago I had the obligatory (?) colonscopy recommended at age 50, which involves a partial fast and a cleanse - really unpleasant it was, too. Afterwards they gave me a blueberry muffin made with white flour, sugar, and transfats and told me I could eat anything I wanted - which I did - the next day I had stomach cramps like I have never had in my life, unbelievably painful, and I am not a crybaby. I realized I should have repopulated my gut with good bugs, yogurt with live cultures, etc. Of course you could not expect a CW doctor to tell you something like that.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 08-03-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Although I tried to take it easy yesterday, I did end up going a bit overboard with food - it was all primal, but the ice-cream probably took the calories well over what I needed. I was very full when I went to bed. Still, the weight gain wasn't as severe as I thought it would be.

I'll call this Day 1 BF - one full day after breaking fast.
    Weight - 138.8
    BP - 101/64
    Pulse 73

Day 2 BF
    Weight - 143.0
    BP - 99/61
    Pulse - 67

How are you feeling? Is your wife commenting on anything?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I'm feeling pretty darned good. Getting ready to go for a hike with the dog. My wife's just happy I'm eating (and cooking) again.

Day 3 BF
    Weight - 143
    BP - 115/64
    Pulse 74
    Went to the local brewery last night, 3 pts + 1 glass of wine. Otherwise, I've eaten primally since breaking the fast.

Are you insanely hungry? Even after just a few days of caloric restriction (like backpacking or something) I seem to be insatiable for a few days. Can't imagine coming back after not eating for 21 days...

Would you do it again?

The question should be "were you insanely hungry," as the extended fast is over. There were times that hunger was a monster, but those times never lasted that long. As far as doing it again... I'm not ready to say either way. I will definitely fast for a day or a few here and there, but I'm not ready to commit or deny that I'll ever go 21 days again.

Day 4 BF - Party Weekend, yesterday had 4 beers and 2 glasses of wine, spread over the whole day of course, and then a biiiiiig portion of sticky rice with my Thai food last night. I think this probably suffices as a carb re-feed.

Weight - 146.8
    BP 108/68
    Pulse 65

My wife made me a capuccino this morning, but I plan to eat very low carb today.

Shop Now
    I actually used "are" implying post-fast. What I was getting at was, that for me, hunger is somehow bearable/ignorable when you know you have no choice (backpacking in my case, fasting in yours). However, once I get back to food its as though I don't get full. Since food is now present and available I was wondering if you found yourself "making up" for 3 weeks with too little food.