Thread: Cuts & Bruises Healing Less Quickly Since Going Primal.. What Gives? page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

Question Cuts & Bruises Healing Less Quickly Since Going Primal.. What Gives?

So I'm noticing that cuts, scratches and bruises are healing less slowly in the 6 weeks since I've gone primal. This seems opposite of what I'd expect and other peoples experiences. An example, a couple weeks ago got a few bruises while moving furniture. Though I have always tended to bruise rather easily, they would normally go away within a couple days. These are just now fully disappearing. Same with some scratches and cuts. Used to be gone within a few days. Now things aren't scabbing and healing nearly as fast.

I'm not really doing supplements or multi-vitamins, so could definitely be missing out on something (but that's the same as before Primal). Surely I'm getting more & better nutrients since going primal.

Any thoughts?
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    I'm not really doing supplements or multi-vitamins, so could definitely be missing out on something (but that's the same as before Primal). Surely I'm getting more & better nutrients since going primal.

Any thoughts?
    you may have cut some crap from your diet, but what exactly do you eat? is your diet well-rounded, varied and nutrient-dense?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Also, you are losing a lot of weight really quickly which is great but it is also a strain on all your body systems. See how fast your bruises go away once you are down to a healthier weight.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that I bleed more and have old man skin on my arms. You know how when old men get a cut the blood runs all over the place because they are taking asprin for their heart? That's how my blood is now. Also old men will scratch their arms and if it doesn't cut the skin, blood will pool right under the skin like little blood blisters. That's my skin, too. I think it's not Primal's fault though. I think there's a tendency to blame everything on this diet because it's such a big change and you start noticing everything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    If you're taking fish oil supplements, take a look at how much you're getting of that. Fish oil will thin your blood.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    you may have cut some crap from your diet, but what exactly do you eat? is your diet well-rounded, varied and nutrient-dense?
    There is certainly work to be done, but it's leagues ahead of what it was before. Feel free to check out my journal (link in my signature) and share any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also, you are losing a lot of weight really quickly which is great but it is also a strain on all your body systems. See how fast your bruises go away once you are down to a healthier weight.
    Great point Paleobird. Hadn't thought of it this way. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think there's a tendency to blame everything on this diet because it's such a big change and you start noticing everything.
    So true. I'm definitely more in tune with my body and much more observant on a daily basis. So it's possible I'm not spot on that there's such a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    If you're taking fish oil supplements, take a look at how much you're getting of that. Fish oil will thin your blood.
    Nope. Though I've been eating A LOT of salmon lately.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been eating a lot of salmon. I have it every day for lunch and I have the kind with bones and skin. I often have it for dinner as well.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs