Thread: First Bite of the Apple page

Richardmac is online now Senior Member

First Bite of the Apple

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys and girls. This is my first post here. In actual fact I have just found the site today.

I am a rugby development officer here in Scotland. I am currently running offseason conditioning sessions for some of th U18 and U16 high school rugby players I work with. I no longer play rugby after injury encouraged me to stop.

I have trained with various styles of training since I left school. I was the skinny kid who discovered eating and bulked up to 210 pounds at my rugby peak (single figure BF). I then discovered CF as so many of us have, and loved it until I blew a disc in my lower back. it was that and a shoulder prob that stopped me playing.

I am now training these players using CF programming I wrote up based around CF. They love it and leave each day both loving and hating me. I converted my family to Paleao Dairy (not a purist, please dont ask me to leave) last year and it changed our lives. I am now converting my clients as well as people I know etc and changing as many lives as possible.

With regards my own training just now. i find it quite easy to programme for others, but struggel with myself. I have gone through cycles of strongmanwod.com, and more recently CF amundson and love it, but given that I cycle 10miles to coach, train in the gym myself, train the kids for 3-4 hours then cycle home, I am left quite burnt out even when im trying to wolf the food down.

I am trying to maintain/improve conditioning whilst hopefully gaining about 10lbs bodyweight (im about 200lbs at the moment). I have just started the Navy Seals training for BUD/s. progressively harder pressups/pullups etc over a 9 week period. I was thinking of something different, and after seeing surfers, cyclists gymnasts (people who all perform low impact owrk day in and day out and at the top level are very fit, developed etc in the muscles they work) I decided a low impact challenge similar to the KB swing one might be the way to reach my goals.

So with that in mind I wanted your opinions on keeping the Navy Seal challenge going+doing the 30 day KB swing challenge+adding in maybe a lunge challenge to??

Sorry for the short (or not so short) story, any thought and opinions etc would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Richard

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like some basic heavy lifting would probably support those goals far more than some of the suggestions. Especially as you seem to be pretty active anyway.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    welcome. please keep in mind that paleo/primal (especially if you are as active as you say you are, and are attempting to gain weight) is NOT a low carb diet. pile on the sweet potatoes, white rice, bananas and other fruit. and again, welcome

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    welcome. please keep in mind that paleo/primal (especially if you are as active as you say you are, and are attempting to gain weight) is NOT a low carb diet. pile on the sweet potatoes, white rice, bananas and other fruit. and again, welcome
    Thanks for the replies guys. With regards the heavy lifting....Iv completed strength work for years, and have always lifted heavy. My joints from rugby have taken a pounding and I was hoping to stay away from super heavy weights. The strongmanwod.com cycle was also pretty heavy.

I agree in terms of diet, I am wolfing down potatoes, etc.

If the training ideas I suggested are innapropriate that's ok. Ironically recently doing more pressups has actually improved my chest development which wasnt actually the initial goal.

I think I would stick with the heavy lifting (gslp etc), but with the cycling to work, gym work, coaching etc. Its leaving me rundown. So I felt that maybe pure v heavy strength work might not be the way to go. Open to suggestions, and value the opinions.

Meant to add, that I might be hoping to do a charity sponsored cycle soon (200miles, leading to further distance ones in the future).

Richard

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    It seems to me that what you're doing (workout-wise) isn't entirely compatible with your goals of improving conditioning and gaining muscle. You want to do Navy SEAL challenge, kettlebell challenge, AND lunge challenge, along with the cycle commute? And you're already feeling burnt out/rundown?

You might want to think about doing less. Maybe just your cycle commute to the gym, and ONE of those three challenges (for overall body conditioning, I think either Navy SEAL or kettlebell would be your best bet).

And program in rest days and some easier workout days.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    It seems to me that what you're doing (workout-wise) isn't entirely compatible with your goals of improving conditioning and gaining muscle. You want to do Navy SEAL challenge, kettlebell challenge, AND lunge challenge, along with the cycle commute? And you're already feeling burnt out/rundown?

You might want to think about doing less. Maybe just your cycle commute to the gym, and ONE of those three challenges (for overall body conditioning, I think either Navy SEAL or kettlebell would be your best bet).

And program in rest days and some easier workout days.
    Very sensible suggestion goldie.

I was just trying to approach it with a view to hit every muscle, but I agree with your points.

The cycling is a great commute and training for the distance work. The cycling is actually working my conditioning and developing my legs better than squats used to.

Thanks for the input my friend, greatly appreciated.

Richard

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    You're welcome!

When we were stationed in England (hubby was USAF, now "retired"), we visited Scotland several times. The Scots are lovely people!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    You're welcome!

When we were stationed in England (hubby was USAF, now "retired"), we visited Scotland several times. The Scots are lovely people!
    Thank you, some of us arent bad haha.

It serves me right for not searching the site properly, but I just found and downloaded the free e-book last night.

With regards the LHT work. My max press ups is about 60 (I think more but rounded down), pullups is about 18-20 and squat 100. It doesnt say in the e-book (although it might be there and I might have just missed it) what exercises do I now start with?
    I know you do two cycles (eg go through each circuit twice) for max reps, but how do I know when to progress up and do a new exercise/add weght etc etc?

Thanks guys. Sorry for what are probably stupid questions but I cant seem to see a clear answer.

Richard