Thread: NYT Article - In Dieting, Magic Isnít a Substitute for Science page

ArrGee is offline Member

Thumbs down NYT Article - In Dieting, Magic Isnít a Substitute for Science

Primal Fuel
    "...We asked Dr. Jules Hirsch, emeritus professor and emeritus physician in chief at Rockefeller University, who has been researching obesity for nearly 60 years, about the state of the research..."

Ooh! This should be interesting! Let's see what this esteemed doctor has to say...

*reads the article *

Nevermind. Better change it to: "...has been steeped in CW dogma for nearly 60 years..."

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I think Dr. Hirsch came up in Good Calories, Bad Calories as one of those afflicted by blindness and does more non-science than science. As a matter of fact, that applies to most "researchers" in the obesity field.

to wit from the book -

"Once Hirsch's obese subjects took to restricting their calories, however, they experienced what he called "all the physiological and psychological concomitants of starvation." A semi-starvation diet induces precisely that - semi-starvation - whether the subject is obese or lean. "Of all the damn unsuccessful treatments, " Hirsch later said, "the treatment of weight reduction by diet for obese people just doesn't seem to work.""
    p256-7

"Francis Benedict, Ancel Keys, George Bray, Jules Hirsch and others have deomonstrated this in humans, showing that neither eating less nor exercising more will lead to long-term weight loss, as the body naturally compensates." p299

Somewhere, somehow, he stopped being a scientist and started a career as parrot.

"The dissociation of the science of fat metabolism from any discussion of the cause or treatment of obesity was particularly conspicuous throughout this era and could be considered its legacy. When Bray, Van Itallie, Cahill, and Hirsch gave review talks at these conferences, as they did through out this period, they would raise the issue of carbohydrate-restricted diets only to refute the claims that such diets offered a metabolic advantage over low-calorie diets. They would omit any mention of research that might explain the reported efficacy of the diets, even when that research was discussed at the same conferences and by investigators they knew personally." p 420 (in re obesity research in the 1970s)
    Last edited by June68; 07-16-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: speeling
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It's all about the funding. Someday Monsanto will fund all science and GMO corn will be touted as the perfect food.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I'd agree that "magic isn't a substitute for science".

What I don't know is why the New York Times should think that the ignorant repetition of unexamined dogma is an acceptable substiute for science.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    probably because Jane Brody says so. Really, in GC,BC, she comes across as a complete idiot. I mean, if she told me the sky was blue, I'd go check.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'd agree that "magic isn't a substitute for science".

What I don't know is why the New York Times should think that the ignorant repetition of unexamined dogma is an acceptable substiute for science.
    The NY Times isn't known for using logic or facts
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds