Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt with 20 g fat, only 12 g saturated page

campanella is offline Senior Member

Yogurt with 20 g fat, only 12 g saturated

Primal Fuel
    I got some greek yogurt and just realized it lists 20 g fat and only 12 g saturated fat. It lists no trans fats. Has anyone seen this before? It doesn't seem right, should I toss the yogurt? I looked at the ingredients, it has a blend of whole milk, cream, and skim milk.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    There are higher fat ones out there but it is not bad.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

What could they have added to the yogurt to make 8 grams of fat that are not saturated?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Pass, I don't know enough about how yogourt is made, nor that fat content of dairy.
    The Krema yogourt I use is 30% fat (19g) with 13g of Sat Fat so a similar ratio.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    ... should I toss the yogurt?
    IMO, no. You paid good money for it, didn't you?

If you're casein-sensitive then you should avoid it. If you're not, what's a gram or so of this or that either way?

I've got some sheep's milk yoghurt here that's made just from pure whole milk, nothing skimmed off, no skimmed milk added, and that has 5.8 g per 100 g of product (of which 3.8 g are saturates).

i don't know what your figures mean, because you don't say what the 20 g is in -- the whole container? How much does that weigh? But, again, is a few fat grams one way or the other a huge issue?

Only possible issue there, I guess, is that they may have added skimmed milk powder as a kind of thickener, and the dehydrating process that converts the milk into the powder would denature the proteins.

If you were looking for the perfect yoghurt, then I guess you'd probably make it at home -- commercial yoghurt doesn't tend to be fermented long enough apart from anything else. Also, I suppose you'd want to know whether the animals the milk came from were healthy and what they'd been fed on.

What you've got probably isn't the best yoghurt that you can buy, but if it were me I wouldn't throw it out.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Your mystery 8% might be the natural, beneficial trans-fats, or it might be monounsaturated...can't be sure. Label gives no other clues?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

No other clues, except the label lists no trans fats. It probably does have skim milk powder, because of the excessive creaminess... I just don't want to make myself feel under the weather right now with some frankenfood, how bad is the skim milk powder and would it ever have weird fats?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    No other clues, except the label lists no trans fats. It probably does have skim milk powder, because of the excessive creaminess... I just don't want to make myself feel under the weather right now with some frankenfood, how bad is the skim milk powder and would it ever have weird fats?
    Most of the fat should be saturated. That's so with my sheep's yoghurt. And here's an anlysis of FAGE 2% yoghurt:

FAGE Total Greek Yogurt | 2%

Standard whole milk yoghurt:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Yogurt, plain, whole milk, 8 grams protein per 8 ounce

I doubt they add vegetable margairne or anything like that to it -- and if they did they'd have to declare it on the label.

Dr. Cate's the lady for alarming people with what heat can do to proteins. Here she is on milk:

Heat destroys amino acids, especially the fragile essential amino acids, and so pasteurized milk contains less protein than fresh.[xi] But the damaged amino acids don’t just disappear; they have been glycated, oxidized and transformed into stuff like N-carboxymethyl-lysine, malonaldehyde, and 4-hydroxynonanal—potentential allergens and pro-inflammatory irritants.
    http://drcate.com/raw-milk-why-mess-...er-perfection/

And that's just pasteurization she's complaining about! Spray-drying skimmed-milk probably does worse things. You probably don't have to worry about "weird fats" in skim milk, because it wouldn't have many. Damaged proteins would be more likely to be an issue. How much of an issue I don't know, though. The more you heat protein-foods, the more you tend to denature the proteins -- this is why although we talk of "boiled eggs" any knowledgable cook actually simmers them rather than literally boiling them.

I guess you might want to look out a yoghurt that's made with whole milk next time round, but I'd doubt the issue is scary enough to justify chucking what you've just bought in the bin.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Pass, I don't know enough about how yogourt is made, nor that fat content of dairy.
    The Krema yogourt I use is 30% fat (19g) with 13g of Sat Fat so a similar ratio.
    There is 30 PERCENT FAT yogurt?! I want to try that
    Billie trips balls

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    keep counting grams, see where that takes you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast