Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad are potatoes really?? page

samiamm is offline Senior Member

How bad are potatoes really??

Primal Fuel
    I'm 18 years old, male, and underweight. So I'm not speaking in terms of carbs or blood sugar for weight loss, but in terms of unnatural. How bad are potatoes really??

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I don't think they are bad at all. I think they should be consumed based on activity levels just like any other starchy carb.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    they're pretty great. white potatoes may not have much to them, but sweet potatoes and some of the asian potatoes have some good nutrients in there.

i can't be sure, but you probably want to stay away from the skins. i think that's where the anti-nutrients are in potatoes.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    They are not bad - eat all the varieties you can find with butter.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes produce solanine (a toxin) as a defense against being eaten. The majority of it is in or close to the skin of the potato, so as long as you're not eating the peel, you really don't have to worry about this.

The only reason you'd want to avoid potatoes is if you had some type of autoimmune condition with symptoms that were directly impacted by consuming nightshades. Some people with arthritis, for example, find that their pain and stiffness is greatly reduced by eliminating potatoes or the whole nightshade family. For everybody else, there's no reason to avoid potatoes. They are high in potassium, taste delicious, and are a great way to get some glucose into your muscles after a tough workout!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. Plus sweet portatoes are much better than white .
    If you can find them, buy sweet potatoes that have a purple skin and are white on the inside, I think they're the best sweet potatoes.
    Try this for dinner:
    Boil some sweet potatoes until they're soft and put them in a bowl together with goat cheese and meat juice (if you are frying meat with the same meal) otherwise add some melted butter or whole milk. And just mash everything together with an electric mixer
    Billie trips balls

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link to the nutritional profile of 100grams of white potato, baked. Just look at all that folate, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. I eat them most days.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, baked

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree that they're not bad at all. I eat them a few times a week as a post-workout carb. Here are Mark's posts about potatoes:

Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Read Cris Kresser on how to eat primal/paleo...I have adopted this style. As Robb Wolf says: who are YOU and what are YOU trying to accomplish?
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Try this for dinner:
    Boil some sweet potatoes until they're soft and put them in a bowl together with goat cheese and meat juice
    I'm sorry but that sounds disgusting. Who knows though, lots of crazy recipes p.

But yeah I knew sweet potatoes were good, and I've always loved sweet potatoes. I swear they're the only thing you can eat and feel like you're cheating without cheating at all. I mostly meant white potatoes though because my mom uses them a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast