Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primalita page

alejan Guest

Shop Now

So, I am a newbie primal. My boyfriend had Mark's book and got the ideas running through my head (I was particularly compelled by Mark's citation of Professor Jared Diamond of UCLA). Now I am on to the tough part: acting on the idea.

First off, I should say that I am a young professional (just out of college), so I definitely have a budget and a tight schedule. What are the key foods I should try to focus on? What are the go-to primal foods that are easy to make?

Also, I am an ex-distance runner, so I am not very familiar with what bodes with primal activity. Thus, any advice on that subject would be helpful. Does yoga fit in a primal life? What does Mark say about flexibility in general?

Lastly, I'd love any support of words of encouragement. I am a picky meat-eater (ex-veggie), love sweets, and am having a hard time with cravings thus far. I think most of all I miss having the crunchy saltiness of chips!

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to being apart of the community!

-Alexandria

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Welcome, alejan.

I published this page just for newbies like yourself:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Take a look, read the book and come back often. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are glad to have another forum member on board.

Grok on!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the Primal way of life.

I know what you mean about a small budget. I currently live (and live well) on less than $18,000 a year- which means some creative budgeting.

If you like eggs, you're in luck. They're super cheap and full of great fat and protein. Boil some up and you have a portable, filling snack. Plus they cook up really fast and you can do a million things with them.

Let the crockpot be your friend. It's a real lifesaver when you have zero time to do any "real" cooking. Throw in some meat, some veggies, and some seasoning and you have a meal. It's just that easy.

alejan Guest

Thanks!! I made some hard-boiled eggs this morning!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Ohh, and if you want to dress up your egg salad, add some vinegar, or some cajun spices, curry, raisins, sunflower seeds, or anything else your imagination can come up with.

Alejan,

One thing to remember, is, if you continue to have cravings for sweets, one thing that really helps me is to up the good fats.

If I had a binge day (ahem hello 4th of July!!! Ack!), the next day, I will eat really low carb, with lots of protein & veggies, but MOSTLY fat. Then, the next day, I will throw in some intermittent fasting (like try to skip a meal or two). I find, that if I am eating 'Primally' correctly, then skipping a meal is easy to do since your hunger and cravings are gone.

Just a suggestion, since I am also a huge 'sweets junkie' and have had success with the above regimen since going Primal nearly a month ago.

pk Guest

Hey Alejan... like you, I eat primal and am on a budget... I like buying sirloin (inexpensive cut of meat, and lean...not that fat is bad!). If you prep it right, it can be quite tender, and very tasty!

I like to massage the meat with some seasalt, black pepper, and a bit of olive oil... let it sit for a few hours, then grill it up, or even cook it in a pan with some freshly sliced garlic.

A pound of organic sirloin should cost you about 5-7 dollars a pound.

enjoy

-pk

ps - your bf is lucky! a primal gf...

pk Guest

Also Mark,

Thanks for compiling all that info in the newbie post... Such an amazing resource.

best,

-pk

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Harb boiled eggs are one of my favorite foods! Get the best eggs you can afford though, it really does make a difference. My husband is a graduate student and I work full time, so I know about the budget constraints too, but we have learned to cut back on a lot of extra things to afford high quality food. It definitely took a while to adjust to, but I just don't buy many shoes or clothes anymore until I need them (and learning NEED was a big one!).

I was almost into the vegetarian camp before we switched to primal, I could go days without eating meat without missing it at all. Once we started adding it to most meals though, and once I rediscovered my love for bacon, the fats in the meat became the most delicious taste I can get. And I agree with SassaFrass that when you up the fat and have a few really low carb days (like under 50), your cravings for sweets almost disappear entirely. Another staple for me are still nuts and seeds right now, walnuts/pecans/almonds, and almond butter (which I like to eat with a spoon when I'm still hungry after a meal). I keep frozen berries in the freezer, they are wonderful as a sweet snack!, and lots of lettuce and veggies in the fridge for salads.

And until recently I was absolutely in the chronic cardio/bordering on extreme exercise camp, and once I switched to more walking (longer, easier long workouts) and a few times a week of sprinting or intense circuit training (shorter, harder short workouts) I feel so much more balanced! I don't feel bad just doing 45-50 minutes of pilates or yoga on my easy days, and only 20-30 minutes of sprints and body weight exercises or circuit training on my hard days. I haven't had any grains in over a month now, and only one cheat day with a scoop of ice cream from our local parlor, and already I feel so much better I wouldn't go back to my old "healthy" diet and exercise regimen. Good luck with your switch!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

alejan Guest

Since my posting, I have found seeds as a great snack for replacing chips, which has helped me through some cravings. I also have found that once I got going on PB, I have felt less carb cravings. I am eating more protein (turkey bacon and eggs every morning), and feel less hungry. So, I am well on my way.

Thanks, everyone!

pk- yes, my boyfriend is so lucky to have a primal girlfriend! I hope he knows that!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast