Thread: You Are Your Own Gym nutrition advice? page

alydar is offline Member

You Are Your Own Gym nutrition advice?

Primal Fuel
    I just recently got my hands on a copy of You Are Your Own Gym mainly to get some new body weight exercise ideas to add into my LHT workouts. But his nutrition and food advice is making me raise an eyebrow - it doesn't seem to fit well with my primal mentality regarding food choices.

Has anyone else read this book and have thoughts on his approach to nutrition?

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    I have many thoughts on his nutritional recommendations, which in particular were you concerned with?

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    I just skimmed the chapter again, and here are my thoughts on where he either is too simplified or just wrong.

-Eating small meals all day long has no "benefit" other than moderating insulin levels and keeping glucose levels from ever bottoming out. The so-called afternoon slump he says you will avoid by doing this is avoided if you simply adjust to [processing fat as an energy source. The idea that we burn more calories simply by eating more often is just wrong. The Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) is a responce to the calorie intake, not by the frequency of intake.

Increased meal frequency does not promote greater ... [Br J Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

-He also states that a calorie deficit means that you will burn fat. In the event that you are eating all day long in small meals, this is not going to be the case. Some of that deficit will come from sources other than fat, such as muscle mass. Mark's own writings cover this pretty well.

-His entire carb section is pretty much CW in its worse. Just disregard it and rad Mark's stuff on carbs.

-His fat section is leaning in the right direction, but again... Mark's books have better explanations.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is a thread where Mark clarifies his position -

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44611-2.html