Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Death To Cardio! page 4

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Considering how much work goes into organizing an event like that, it really isn't much to spend $50 to participate. It's kind of a shitty thing to sneak into a race without paying - to me it's the same as stealing. I know you are a better person than that, Rob.

The Triathlon cost me a lot of money (between the registration fee, all the equipment, and swim lessons I spent over a thousand bucks!), but when it was all said and done it was worth every penny.
    oh, i would never sneak into one of those races. if i were ever that strapped for cash, i would just volunteer and take the free race. i do have a friend who's planning to run one without registering, but i'm really pushing him to sign up. it is expensive to set up those races, but the main reason i want him to pay is so that they see our local spot as a place worth returning to next year. i'm not against paying the price, and i get the reason for the cost, i just wish they were a little more accessible. just a little. funny thing, i don't blink an eye at dropping $50 on a fundraising 5k for the SPCA or boys and girls club...but that's likely because there's a stronger personal connection there for me.

triathlons are definitely pricey. i did a local sprint a couple years ago, was able to borrow a decent bike, didn't buy much gear, but still felt felt like i got kicked in the crotch with money i spent. but you're right...worth every penny, and then some.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Right on, Rob! I knew you were an ethical guy!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Trail running is not cardio, it's microwaved hiking
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Trail running is not cardio, it's microwaved hiking

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    All your doing is changing the name of what your doing. If you do a 5km cardio run or a 5km skill run, your still running 5km.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I think that was the point, the mindset you have when you set out to do something is just as, if not more, important than what you are doing.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Psychological state plays a huge role in physical performance in most athletic endeavours. There's a huge difference between grinding out 5km because you think you have to and doing it with a sense of purpose and enjoyment. Our minds and bodies are not separate entities, and how we feel about something and approach it matters because that mental state influences things like hormonal states that will impact how your run goes. Sports psychology is a real thing, and it plays a role not only for professional athletes, but also for the rest of us.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I think that was the point, the mindset you have when you set out to do something is just as, if not more, important than what you are doing.
    Exactly. Don't force yourself to "do cardio". Play, or do an engaging activity that you look forward to instead. Your muscles and cardiopulmonary system may not know the difference, but you will, and that's what matters.

I run a lot, but to me it's play. I also play soccer, tennis, ultimate frisbee, go hiking, etc. From my body's perspective these things could be considered "cardio", but from my perspective they're something completely different.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234