Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death To Cardio! page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    my only complaint with mud runs is the cost. warrior dash and spartan race are $50 for early registration, and it keeps going up the longer you wait, and i feel like those are the cheapest ones. but, you can usually get around the cost by volunteering for the event. you usually get to race for free.
    if volunteering isn't your thing, you can still it for free...just without all the free stuff. so many people run them, and bibs and numbers fall or get rubbed off so soon, there's really no way for anyone to know whether you're registered or not. it's definitely not as good as paying, but mud runs could make for a free, fun, one-off workout where you just get filthy.
    Yeah, the Spartan in Calgary is just too expensive this year. By the time you factor in travel costs as well, it's too much for our budget until I'm permanently employed because the temp work I've been doing pays well but is not reliable enough.

That's okay, by next summer, I'll be even more ready. That's not the worst thing in the world. It gives me a training goal, and I can be more sure that I'm prepared for some of the potential obstacles as well as working on a faster 5km time.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Yeah, the Spartan in Calgary is just too expensive this year. By the time you factor in travel costs as well, it's too much for our budget until I'm permanently employed because the temp work I've been doing pays well but is not reliable enough.

That's okay, by next summer, I'll be even more ready. That's not the worst thing in the world. It gives me a training goal, and I can be more sure that I'm prepared for some of the potential obstacles as well as working on a faster 5km time.
    And next year we'll have a Tough Mudder in town for you to run
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Once its not a million degrees out, I want to get back to trail running. I always enjoyed that more than good old pounding the pavement as there was always something new, fun or difficult.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    And next year we'll have a Tough Mudder in town for you to run
    I'm sort of torn on those. I'm not a huge fan of longer run distances--I've done half marathons and the K100 Relay, and I'm sort of over that. But I like the team aspect of the Tough Mudder, although I think I might be the weak link on any team we formed since most of the people I know who'd do it are big, strong dudes, and I am neither big nor a dude although I'm getting reasonably strong for a woman my size. But my partner outweighs me by half my bodyweight, and he keeps gaining while I'm still shrinking, so by next year he will likely outweigh me by 100 pounds. It's not like I can do a lot to haul him up a barricade.

But the obstacles would make the distance a lot less dull. I mean, really, half the reason I got tired of long distances is that eventually, grinding out the kilometres stops being enjoyable. I'm more than happy to walk 20-30km, but running it is just not enough fun to make it worth the slog for me. Having stuff to climb/swim/evade along the way would definitely alleviate the boredom!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    I read a funny comment about Tough Mudders (I'm excited to do one in the fall)
    "Like every year, the day after the (Crossfit) Games is a day spent at Disneyland training for Tough Mudder. Lots of walking and standing in line."
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    my only complaint with mud runs is the cost. warrior dash and spartan race are $50 for early registration, and it keeps going up the longer you wait, and i feel like those are the cheapest ones. but, you can usually get around the cost by volunteering for the event. you usually get to race for free.
    if volunteering isn't your thing, you can still it for free...just without all the free stuff. so many people run them, and bibs and numbers fall or get rubbed off so soon, there's really no way for anyone to know whether you're registered or not. it's definitely not as good as paying, but mud runs could make for a free, fun, one-off workout where you just get filthy.
    Considering how much work goes into organizing an event like that, it really isn't much to spend $50 to participate. It's kind of a shitty thing to sneak into a race without paying - to me it's the same as stealing. I know you are a better person than that, Rob.

The Triathlon cost me a lot of money (between the registration fee, all the equipment, and swim lessons I spent over a thousand bucks!), but when it was all said and done it was worth every penny.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

bdlee73 is offline Member
    +1 one on this one. I was tearing my body up doing chronic gym cardio. Fortunately here in Boise I have access to A LOT of trails so know my "cardio" time is spent on the trails. We have one awesome trail up to a place called table rock: in 55 minutes you get a nice round trip climb with an awesome view after a 900 ft elevation gain!

I guess I'm one of the few here that actually hates running (funny since I'm in the Service lol). I love walking and doing body weight exercises. I think its weird that people think they need to "run so far to burn so many calories." I lost a lot of weight without a change in how much I PT'ed.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Wayne View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few here that actually hates running (funny since I'm in the Service lol). I love walking and doing body weight exercises. I think its weird that people think they need to "run so far to burn so many calories." I lost a lot of weight without a change in how much I PT'ed.
    You're not entirely alone. I hate distance running with a burning passion (and I'm former Air Force). It feels different when I'm on the trail though, so I'm dabbling with that.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordBlade View Post
    I read a funny comment about Tough Mudders (I'm excited to do one in the fall)
    "Like every year, the day after the (Crossfit) Games is a day spent at Disneyland training for Tough Mudder. Lots of walking and standing in line."
    Maybe that person should start in an earlier heat... We did one in Feb and didn't have to wait in line at any obstacles.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast