Thread: Kefir smoothie? page

JBailey is offline Senior Member

Kefir smoothie?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We 'discovered' kefir right before going primal, and liked the way it made us feel too much to go without. But I'd appreciate comments on our recipe in terms of nutrition and weight loss.

1 cup kefir
    1 cup frozen berries
    1/2 banana
    1 heaping tbsp coconut oil
    1 scoop whey protein

The idea with the protein powder is to give a little weight to all the carbs. I drink my smoothie on my drive into work, then have to walk 1/2 mile from the parking lot. I notice a bit of rush feeling from the fruit I assume, and I think a little more protein helps, but it could just be my imagination.

Also, this is the only fruit I eat per day.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot of the posters here will disagree with me, but I don't understand the need to add fats; especially when trying to lose weight. We get a lot of naturally occurring fats in eggs, meat, and fish. Also, if you eat full fat cheese or milk, you get plenty of fat there. So, I would ditch the coconut oil unless your job requires a lot of physical work and/or you don't get to eat for many hours after your smoothie.

Also, the banana and the berries (together) might be a bit of sugar to hit your system as your first meal of the day.

But we're all different. I crash easily from sugar, so I stick to berries and grapefruit as my major fruits (of which I don't eat many). If you feel good, go for it.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    The berries are homegrown and can be kind of tart, so the banana helps with that. I guess I could see losing the coconut oil though. I'm trying to crank down my calories a bit and that would help. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow....
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    I drink banana, blueberry, and kefir smoothies all the time. I love them and see nothing wrong with it. Not sure I'd want to add oil or protein powder, though. That's just my preference!