Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decreased appetite x10? page

Micheal is offline Junior Member

Decreased appetite x10?

Primal Fuel
    Since I started going Primal, I've found my appetite has diminished, which I'd generally consider a good thing given how much I used to eat, except that I mean it has really diminished. I'm down to only one meal a day with lots of water throughout the day. Just today I had a small steak, just larger than the size of my fist and rather thin, and that was it. I had no room for vegetables. I had a glass of juice, and that made me uncomfortably full. Is this normal? I'm all for smaller portions in my meals, but this is slightly bothersome, eating only one meal a day and eating so little. It's not like I'm making a conscious decision to eat less, I'm genuinely full, and more often, uncomfortably so. I rolled around in my bed the past few hours groaning because I was so uncomfortable. And this wasn't grandma's Thanksgiving feast. With eating so little, it's a bit disconcerting.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I've also experienced a diminished appetite, but nothing remotely close to this. Sorry, can't be of any help....

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    That sounds quite extreme, I'd go and see a doctor, especially if you're getting pains

EncinoMan is offline Junior Member
    Agreed that this is pretty extreme, and potentially something to be concerned about.

That being said, I do notice that since being Primal I go through some pretty dramatic swings in appetite. Some weeks I will be insatiably hungry and pretty much eat all day (besides fast days) and likely consume 4500 or so calories. Then I'll cycle through periods where I'm not hungry at all, and almost have to make myself eat, and am around 1500 calories for the day (which as a reasonably lean 200 lb man is damn low).

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EncinoMan View Post
    Agreed that this is pretty extreme, and Hpotentially something to be concerned about.

That being said, I do notice that since being Primal I go through some pretty dramatic swings in appetite. Some weeks I will be insatiably hungry and pretty much eat all day (besides fast days) and likely consume 4500 or so calories. Then I'll cycle through periods where I'm not hungry at all, and almost have to make myself eat, and am around 1500 calories for the day (which as a reasonably lean 200 lb man is damn low).
    How much of these non-hungry days do you usually have in a row? I have been eating 5000 calories a day for a while + lifting and seeing pretty good results (at least not getting fat) but for the last 3 or 2 days I think I hardly hit 2000 calories because I'm so full with no reason
    Billie trips balls

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Appetite swings are normal but an extended low is not a good thing at all - get it checked out.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I also cycle through non-hungry days, so if that was all, I wouldn't worry. Pain, however is a signal that something is wrong. If you're forcing food because you think you should eat more, you might give yourself a stomach ache. If that's not the case, you might want to see your health practitioner to rule out something serious.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe you are constipated. It happens. After a big diet change like this, you might end up without enough of the right kind of intestinal flora to help you move things along.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

EncinoMan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    How much of these non-hungry days do you usually have in a row? I have been eating 5000 calories a day for a while + lifting and seeing pretty good results (at least not getting fat) but for the last 3 or 2 days I think I hardly hit 2000 calories because I'm so full with no reason
    It depends, but usually its 3-4 days. There are some fast days in there too, and while I still try to eat a normal calorie amount those days, it doesn't always happen. I find that I'm often significantly less hungry on days after a IF. For example, if I don't eat from Dinner Thursday until dinner Friday then I will usually not have much appetite on Saturday.

Are you still training as much as usual these last 2 or 3 days?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    How long is "since I went Primal"? Frankly, if it goes on for longer than a week, see a doctor, but otherwise, your body just needs time to adjust.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast