Thread: Just getting started in Primal page

Micheal is offline Junior Member

Just getting started in Primal

Primal Fuel
    Finally getting in to Primal now. I promised myself for over a year that I'd do it, but for various reasons, I'm finally getting to it. I'm still learning, but I managed to cut out most of the sugar and grains from my diet anyway before I started this.

By day I'm a professional hacker, so that means junk food (though my company has been getting us healthier options, woo!), lots of caffeine, and lots of fun. By night, I'm a student.

I started Primal because I got tired of looking in the mirror and being disgusted with what I saw looking back. It's been only a couple of weeks and I've dropped roughly 10 lbs. Looking forward to more loss. For the most part, Primal makes sense to me. So I'm not entirely primal, I still enjoy a glass of milk occasionally, of course butter, which is a dairy, but I've cut out a lot of sugar and other things, and like I said, I'm still learning and trying to cut out more things. I'm looking for options to replace rice. I think rice and mashed potatoes are going to be the hardest ones for me.
    Last edited by Micheal; 07-16-2012 at 03:03 AM.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Micheal,

Welcome! Don't worry about perfect adherence right away. As time goes by the cravings for things will ease, it took me about 3 weeks to stop drooling every time I thought about bread (my problem food).

Now I'm 90% Primal and things like potatos, rice and yes even bread really don't tempt me. I still put cream in my coffee and eat butter, but its heavy cream and butter from grass fed and pastured cows.

Take it in managable steps, you'll get there.

David
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 07-16-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Misspelled OPs name... Sorry!

Fossman is offline Member
    Congratulations on taking the first steps and getting started, there are typically always substitues out there if you still want mashed potatoes you can always try mashed sweet potatoes and use grass fed butter and heavy cream as long as dairy doenst give you any issues.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Micheal View Post
    ... I'm still learning and trying to cut out more things.
    To save the reputation of Primal from being all about cutting things out, maybe I shoudl say there's stuff a lot of people add on going primal -- cocount oil, real fermented sauerkraut, bone-broths, organ meats, ghee ...

I'm looking for options to replace rice. I think rice and mashed potatoes are going to be the hardest ones for me.
    You can use cauliflower to replace both of those. It makes an acceptable "rice", and mashed with butter it's not unlike mashed potato.

OT, pardon me for being curious but is Micheal a Gaelic form of the name? I had an idea it was, but maybe I'm wrong. My excuse for asking is Michael is my own middle name. :-)