Thread: One fit cripple page

Sacgrok is offline Junior Member

One fit cripple

Shop Now
    Hi kids.

My name is Erik, I'm 28 years old and a grok in training from Sacramento, California. I was born with a mild case of muscular dystrophy which is a challenge to deal with but is thankfully non-degenerative. I was raised to believe that I couldn't build muscle and I let my condition become the easy excuse for inactivity. When I hit junior high the weight gain started and I hit my highest weight this last summer. 190 pounds at 5'7" with around 30% body fat. I had gone back and forth on weight loss and finally I decided to take my life back. I did the usual first steps...cut out soda, candy, fast food. I drank lots of water and got my weight down to 170. Training then came in to play and started working out twice a week. Then I hit the plateau. A friend of mine brought the Primal Blueprint to my attention and I devoured it. All of Mark's philosophies really hit home for me and the weight started falling off again. I dropped 45 pounds in 5 months and started building muscle for the first time in my life.

Starting weight (11/18/2011) : 190, 30% body fat
    Today (7/15/2012) : 143, 15.5% body fat
    My goal : 8% body fat by 11/18/2013...my 30th birthday!

I moved back home from an out of state job and have been struggling with staying consistent with my eating. My sister getting married, the state fair and the 4th surely didn't make it easy! I'm starting this journal to keep myself honest and meet some other like minded folks.
    Let's do this!
    Last edited by Sacgrok; 07-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Wow - what a great first post! Welcome aboard. I have a cousin with muscular dystrophy, so I can really appreciate the hard work it takes to make progress. Very inspiring
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Thanks, Jammies! I'm excited to get back on track and meet some awesome people too.

The dystrophy adds some challenges but I try to push through them instead of making excuses or let it defeat me. I sleep with a cpap and get fatigued easier than most but I can feel that I'm getting stronger. It is incredible what the right food can do.

Okay, now for confession. Today was rough. The annual visit to the California State Fair happened today and with it lots of ridiculously unhealthy food.

B : one slice of quiche made with goat cheese, almond milk and bacon.
    S : a few bites of a baked potato with cheese, green onion and sour cream
    L : half an order of cheese curds, half of a small watermelon Merlino's freeze and half of a funnel cake. Ouch.
    D : two pastured eggs cooked in ghee with avocado

The positive side is that I walked a ridiculous amount and drank a good deal of water. Tomorrow will be a better day! Much better.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sacgrok, I'm an old lady of 53, but I like your journal. You have a great attitude and you write very well. Looking forward to more great posts -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sacgrok! Considering you were at the State Fair, I think you did really well. You had partial treats but didn't over indulge, so it reads to me like a real success. Plus all that walking and water... well done! Keep plugging away, you're doing great.