Thread: Blood Work Success page

joe2.0 is offline Member

Blood Work Success

Primal Fuel
    Back about 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes after having a fasting BS of 142 and an A1C of 6.5. Not terrible numbers on the A1C with 6.5 being the diagnosis threshold but likely scewed by the fact that I had been eating primal MDA style for about a year and had made numerous health improvements during that time. It had been a long time since I had been to the doctor so based on a number of things, I likely had been T2 for a few years.

Fast forward to getting by new lab results back after these 6 months and pulled a 98 fasting bs and a 5.3 A1C. Both in normal range though the fasting is at the tail end of that. Still, I am incredibly pleased. Was never prescribed nor took any meds, just basically strict adherence to the primal plan and lowering my carb intake from 125-150 to 30-50 per day ala Bernstein. Amazing the difference that made considering those previous carb levels were mostly fruit and dairy. Again, I ate a pretty solid MDA style plan, and I feel it helped a ton, keeping my health from really being a wreck but once I got the carb levels down the bs dropped and has stayed within normal ranges.

Lipid panel was solid too with a total cholesterol level of 184 and HDL of 52-so that's something I can feel positive about as well. First lipid panel since going primal and as many know, it's something you worry about the first time with the way we eat. CW preys on the mind about it until you know the results, at least it did me, especially with the T2 diagnosis.

Really appreciate this forum and the contributions that you all make here. It's a very scary thing at first, but seeing the success so many here had really made a huge difference in how I approached this and getting things in line. I felt educated from the start and didn't have to go looking for a lot of answers, though I have tirelessly researched to see what else was out there. Lot of very inspirational people to draw from and put things into the proper perspective. Thanks again.
    Last edited by joe2.0; 07-15-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Well done.

My Dad also T2D, has had excellent results in just two months. He is off of 4 of his 5 medications and has the BP of a healthy young person again. At 86!

Motorhead is offline Member
    Great job Joe! Not sure how much weight training you are doing, but it helps with insulin sensitivity. Get those muscle used to sucking up glucose, and you can move into a new phase of the lifestyle, not counting carbs and enjoying some more primal starches. I have also found Intermittent Fasting via LeanGains.com as a viable option too.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well done.

My Dad also T2D, has had excellent results in just two months. He is off of 4 of his 5 medications and has the BP of a healthy young person again. At 86!
    Thanks and that's incredible. Should be an inspiration to every person here, not just the diabetics. Amazing that the human body can still recover and respond to positive choices even as we age. Props to you for being there for him and helping him chart the path.
    Last edited by joe2.0; 07-26-2012 at 10:54 AM.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Great job Joe! Not sure how much weight training you are doing, but it helps with insulin sensitivity. Get those muscle used to sucking up glucose, and you can move into a new phase of the lifestyle, not counting carbs and enjoying some more primal starches. I have also found Intermittent Fasting via LeanGains.com as a viable option too.
    Thanks. I definitely need to do some more weight training. Specifically, I need to get a real plan together as these days I go into the gym with the mindset of "lifting heavy things" but no real plan. I want to strenghten the core as you have mentioned so I have to get more structured for sure. Are you still lifting once a week or did you go back to more frequency?

Motorhead is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I took about 2 week off for a family vacation in the mountains, but I had plenty of exercise breaking in my new vibrams running around the creeks, and taking short hikes with the kids and dogs. I am still planning on once per week and did workout on Monday plus rode my mountain bike last night for about 5 miles. It's amazing to feel your body react to a BBS workout... when I was lifting 3 times per week, I would in a constant state of soreness, and thus I would take the intensity down a notch. With BBS style workout I am fully recovered on my workout day and can push until I am panting heap on the floor, which feels damn good.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)