Thread: Time To Stop Screwing Around - Drop Body Fat page

Grim is offline Member

Time To Stop Screwing Around - Drop Body Fat

All,

Quick intro:

Previous weight - 270(ish)
    Current weight - 175(ish) - Thanks Blueprint!
    Body fat -18-20. Hard to really get a grip on that, but guess based on pictures and my crappy 30 dollar scale.

Anyway,

I used to get 80% of my exercise via climbing, and was started to really see results. Since I've moved to Colorado, I'm not climbing at all. Ironic, I know, but it's hard to find partners here in Pueblo. So I need to find a new routine until I can get back into climbing, and hopefully something I can stick with while getting back into climbing too.

My finance and I haven't set a date yet, but we're thinking April, and I really do want to look in tip-top shape, as does she. (We follow PB together, yay!)

We have access to a gym at work, and can spare about an hour a day if necessary, and about a half hour in the mornings. We can walk on the weekends.

I'm thinking I'll need some HIITs (considering these sprints), weights, and walking, but I'm not sure about the ratio necessary for my desired result, dropping body fat, not necessarily bulking.

What would be a good routine to get these results?

Also, any great body weight HIIT routines would be wonderful, as I could do it in the morning before work.

Thanks all!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Check out Mark's fitness ebook, starting strength, or convict conditioning.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    +1 for any of the three listed above.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Another one--I did You Are Your Own Gym, got the iPhone app, did the 10-week program, most of the routines 15-25 min. Definitely built my strength (like 2-3 pullups to 10 now). I don't know the other ones recommended here so can't compare. But it was a handy tool for me.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    simplefit is the best program i can think of for the time crunched...day 1 is a great metcon workout that you can squeeze in before work. it's only 20 minutes long. it's technically not interval training, but you'll work hard.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    T NATION | The Five Principles of Radical Fat Loss

Make this your motto, "All facets of the program must be geared toward fat loss."

once you reach your fat loss goal, you can level out, not do as much, or lift more, walk more etc, but if your goal is fat loss, then go get it.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    T NATION | The Five Principles of Radical Fat Loss

Make this your motto, "All facets of the program must be geared toward fat loss."

once you reach your fat loss goal, you can level out, not do as much, or lift more, walk more etc, but if your goal is fat loss, then go get it.
    That is the bodybuilder's way. Not always the best way. Especially when it comes to doing body part splits. I'm also not a fan of the blatant addition of supplements in the beginning of the article (but then again it IS T Nation we're talking about). I do, however, like the main point: short, intense workouts yield better fat loss results. Full-body is generally better than a split though, and is more useful for overall fitness.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    We have access to a gym at work,

I'm thinking I'll need some HIITs (considering these sprints), weights, and walking, but I'm not sure about the ratio necessary for my desired result, dropping body fat, not necessarily bulking.

What would be a good routine to get these results?

Also, any great body weight HIIT routines would be wonderful, as I could do it in the morning before work.
    I am having a go at the Basic Five from Body by Science (Doug McGuff MD & John Little) once a week and it seems to be working. After two days I use a rowing machine to do three lots of 20 seconds flat out and repeat two days before the next BBS session. We're talking a lot less than 20 minutes of HIT a week. Just using the rowing, my resting pulse has gone from low 60ies in early March to high 40ies now. I will be going for my third BBS workout in a few minutes and checking the weights used, they ARE getting bigger, or, my reps are going up so I am happy at that.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't eat any sugar or fruit for a month, and try to do the workouts to the link I sent you, after a month if it didn't work I'll apologies.