Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot shoe recommendations, anyone? page 3

gallgirl is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Thank you all! Your insights were very helpful. I'm going to try the vivobarefoot, which I haven't tried yet. I'm also wondering how these barefoot shoes perform on pavement, which is where I usually walk, since that is not a very natural surface in any case.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I use the vivo's on pavement, and they hold up well so far. I've used them since January or so. They're also wide enough for my feet, which is a plus

i don't believe in "barefoot shoes"; you're either barefoot or you're not. and if you're not barefoot, you might as well rock a pair of converse all-stars, low-top when you run.

in all honesty, it does not take much time for your feet to become adjusted to barefoot asphalt walking, and then you will take on the little rocks and pebbles.

look at me, like iron my feet are.

i recommend you grow a set and walk it barefoot, kid.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I bought a pair of saucony hattoris and I love them. They have lots of room in the toes and a very thin and elastic upper.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    i don't believe in "barefoot shoes"; you're either barefoot or you're not. and if you're not barefoot, you might as well rock a pair of converse all-stars, low-top when you run.

in all honesty, it does not take much time for your feet to become adjusted to barefoot asphalt walking, and then you will take on the little rocks and pebbles.

I tried to get the mail barefoot the other day -- out of laziness, and I had done this successfully before. On the way back up (approximately .15 miles into the trek) I could feel the blisters sloshing around under my feet. I felt like such a dumbass. Anyway, if you're trying to go barefoot outside in the summer on non-natural surfaces, make sure you have an exit plan.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If your problem is that the uppers are too tight you may have to forget about minimalist shoes. They still haven't figured out that minimalist doesn't just equal a flimsy sole. It MUST also include a generous toebox. And wide sizes for women. Until they figure that out, I wear sandals. That's the only way to have truly generous space for your toes.

I have some Vibrams but I nearly burned my feet on the rubber running track the other day. Mine are a couple sizes too big to accommodate my pinky toes that are too fat to fit when the shoe is the correct size. They at least are wide enough. Every other minimalist shoe is way way too narrow.
    I have wide feet also and I find that if I buy the same sized Vibrams but in the "mens" department, they are wider and have more pinkie toe room.

Paleobird Guest

Just don't go running around barefoot in the dark while hammered anymore, OK Dado? That was an entertaining story but it would be a shame to lose you.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I tried to get the mail barefoot the other day -- out of laziness, and I had done this successfully before. On the way back up (approximately .15 miles into the trek) I could feel the blisters sloshing around under my feet. I felt like such a dumbass. Anyway, if you're trying to go barefoot outside in the summer on non-natural surfaces, make sure you have an exit plan.
    carry the flippy floppers, what the fuck?

gradually introduce your feet to this new world and keep a stand-by at hand.

what is this, woman, rocket science?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member

They have these "no shirt, no shoes, no service" issues in most places though.
    With VFFs... particularly the little leather slippers that dont even have a full sole that I wear most of the time casually... it's barely different from being barefoot... except it also protects my feet from the intense heat of the concrete and asphalt.

Also... I did were very flat shoes like Chucks for years before going VFF... and VFF is 100% better. I still had very intense nerve pain from the flat chuck type shoes not allowing natural movement and compressing my toes.

I do not EVER wear flip flops. They are evil.

Barefoot is fine at home, or in an area of only natural surfaces (park, beach- though my son burned the soles of his feet into 3inch wide blisters 2 years ago in the sand sooo...), but if you are hanging out in a civilized area, shopping, etc... umm... foot coverings please.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-16-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Forgot to mention I have a pair of Kigo's too. More like a ballet slipper than a sneaker, but very comfortable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast