Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot shoe recommendations, anyone? page 2

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've got skeletoes, if you can afford vibrams then don't bother even looking at them
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Vibrams don't work for me...my little toe was very unhappy. I may try the new Fila's someday since the last two toes are together.

Regarding Merrills, I love mine. To the OP's comment about the uppers being tight and uncomfortable, I have found that there is something about their design that creates a tendency to over tighten; a woman I work with found the same thing. They fit snuggly enough that there is no need to make them tight. Hope that helps.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I love my Merrell's, too, but my plantar fasciitis has flared up after wearing them for over a year, so I'm wearing my Nike frees. Water shoes are nice but the cheap ones are not very durable.

I can't wear "toe" shoes. My toes are short and it hurts between my toes to wear them.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I love the Merrell's, but I always wear them with thin socks. I also love Vibrams, but they seem to be poor quality for the price you pay. I've had two pairs and I ended up with holes in the bottom on both of them after only wearing them a couple of months. And that was with only wearing them for an hour or two a day. So yeah, can't really afford a new pair every two months.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

EncinoMan is offline Junior Member
    I have the Vibram Treksports and love them. Just shop around online and look for deals. Sure they cost $100+ if you buy them straight from Vibram, but I got mine at REI on sale for $60 and many of the "less intense" models can be found for as low as $30 (if you are a woman with incredibly small feet...).

Also I wouldn't bother with the Fila Skeletoes. They are cheap, which is nice, but the soles on them are MUCH thicker and rigid than vibrams and feel less "barefooty"
    Last edited by EncinoMan; 07-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I have a couple pairs of Stem's (think they've changed their name). They are light, thin, flexible and wide through the toes.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Another user here (Jenn...don't remember her full username) suggested Dr. Scholl's Fast Flats. They are essentially like a looser ballet slipper, with elastic at the heel to accommodate a small range in sizes. I have only been wearing them for a few days, but they are great for "everyday" wear (errands, in the office, walking around the parking lot). They do make my feet sweat quite a bit though. They're about $12 or $13 US and will probably last me a few months. Until I have the money all at once to invest in brand-name "barefoot" shoes, I'll probably just use these.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Vibram. They cost - but worth it IMO.

Of course you could always look for (or make) a pair of ReCyclers™ and get hearty minimalist footwear while at the same time doing your part for the environment.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EncinoMan View Post
    Also I wouldn't bother with the Fila Skeletoes. They are cheap, which is nice, but the soles on them are MUCH thicker and rigid than vibrams and fell less "barefooty"
    Yeah, I was disappointed when I first found a pair of these at the store (my kids were jealous of my toe shoes and wanted their own) and realized how much denser the soles were over vibrams.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If your problem is that the uppers are too tight you may have to forget about minimalist shoes. They still haven't figured out that minimalist doesn't just equal a flimsy sole. It MUST also include a generous toebox. And wide sizes for women. Until they figure that out, I wear sandals. That's the only way to have truly generous space for your toes.

I have some Vibrams but I nearly burned my feet on the rubber running track the other day. Mine are a couple sizes too big to accommodate my pinky toes that are too fat to fit when the shoe is the correct size. They at least are wide enough. Every other minimalist shoe is way way too narrow.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast