Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten free bread? Your thoughts? page 2

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i dunno about bread, but i bought gluten free pancake mix because i really wanted some pancakes. i think it was made with quinoa? i couldnt eat them...even soaked with real maple syrup and butter.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    I see no reason to consume it on a regular basis. If you aren't celiac, eat real bread on rare occasion (like Thanksgiving). If you are celiac, make your own gluten free bread. It's not difficult and anything you throw together is literally better than what's store bought and at least its chemical free. Use grassfed butter over olive oil too. If you bake your own, use more than just rice flour. I've used Amaranth, Buckwheat, Sorgum (not a fan), Quinoa and Rice Flour all in the same bread to attempt to pretend like it isn't gluten free.

Whether you buy store bought or bake your own, keep it frozen and warm it up in the oven or the microwave (microwave is tricky). Room temp gluten free bread is definitely like a brick and is definitely dry. It's definitely something that should be consumed rarely and it's definitely lacking in any real nutrition. Gluten free bread may not be a Frankenfood like all of this damn almond flour crap, but that doesn't mean it's ok to eat. Gluten free bread seems to have a LOT more calories than the regular stuff too.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Still made from Grains - still no good for you...

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It makes me toot.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White bread was awesome when I was pregnant and puking and all I wanted was a comforting grilled cheese sandwich.

Otherwise, I don't bother.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    ...even soaked with real maple syrup and butter.
    That's the thing....just how GROSS does something have to be when this doesn't even make it edible?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That's the thing....just how GROSS does something have to be when this doesn't even make it edible?
    I make uh-maaaaazing GF pancakes, and have for the last year or so. Before finding the soaked buckwheat, I tried quite a few mixes and they were all fairly meh. While these pancakes aren't big and fat and bouncy like Bisquick, they're great with butter and syrup and fruit, and they rock Mr. Onalark's Saturday mornings.

And yeah yeah. Buckwheat pancakes aren't paleo or primal and I don't care. Saturday mornings are all about the 20%.

MarCar is offline Junior Member
    I make bread at home with coconut flour and/or almond flour with a little arrowroot powder and/or flax meal (ground with a coffee grinder). Very easy to make. I use 1 tbsp of honey in the dough for sweetening. There are a lot of recipes out there for these breads. Mark has one on this site

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I make uh-maaaaazing GF pancakes
    Me too! 4 eggs, 2 bananas, and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil mixed in a blender for the batter. Banana pancakes that my kids LOVE.

Might check out yours in a bit , but I kinda don't wanna ruin a quick easy thing thats working.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Me too! 4 eggs, 2 bananas, and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil mixed in a blender for the batter. Banana pancakes that my kids LOVE.

Might check out yours in a bit , but I kinda don't wanna ruin a quick easy thing thats working.
    Nor should you. I make the banana pancakes when I don't feel like soaking buckwheat. They aren't the same, but they are tasty in their own way. ^_^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast