Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayo Clinic review of the Hunter Gatherer Diet page

Dirlot is online now Senior Member

Mayo Clinic review of the Hunter Gatherer Diet

Primal Fuel
    A very good review on the benefits of the hunter gatherer way of eating from the Mayo Clinic which address many of the ongoing criticisms we see on here concerning out healthy way of eating.

I really liked comment that most modern vegetarians are actually “Breaditarians”

http://enzimologia.fcien.edu.uy/BQII...roc%202004.pdf
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Paleobird Guest
    Interesting. Pretty balanced. But they do keep harping on about the *lean* meats. Like any self respecting HG would discard the skin from a piece of chicken.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I have been pondering the lean meat thing for a while and I think it needs to be taken in context.
    Just because HG's ate the fatty parts of animals they hunted, it would be rare that they didn't eat the bulk of the animal, which in the wild would have been a lot of lean skeletal muscle. It is a major time and energy expenditure to orchestrate a successful hunt & one of the primary concepts of the HG is conserve energy (lazy) so they would not always be hunting, if the carcase was there it would be consumed as much as possible before it went off.
    I think you can easily fall into the trap of only consuming the fatty parts because we have access to unlimited quantities, ideally one should probably cycle through a variety of meats and even have some failed hunt days (no meat), undoubtably this is something our ancestors would have dealt with on a regular basis.

MANthrax is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the post. I'm looking for something more current. This paper still holds the view that we need lean protein. Like chicken breast without skin. In 2004 the writer is very much on the outside of mainstream but still holding on to (Keyes) his traditional education.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Interesting. Pretty balanced. But they do keep harping on about the *lean* meats. Like any self respecting HG would discard the skin from a piece of chicken.
    I partially agree with them. If I have access to grass fed meat then I eat all the fat I can get my hands on. But if the meat is corn fed, I think leaner is better.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Senior Member
    I didn't read the article, but I see that it was co-authored by Loren Cordain. Although he's one of the major proponents of a Paleo Diet, he always taken a lower-fat view than others (including Mark Sisson). My understanding, though, is that in recent years, Dr. Cordain has moved his thinking a little on this, and is comfortable with a higher sat-fat intake than he originally advised.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    This is just the Cordain version of Paleo - he's the author.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i think the people saying 'toss the chicken skins' never had crispy chicken skin

or else they're heretics
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I think you can easily fall into the trap of only consuming the fatty parts because we have access to unlimited quantities, ideally one should probably cycle through a variety of meats and even have some failed hunt days (no meat), undoubtably this is something our ancestors would have dealt with on a regular basis.
    I totally agree that going "hog wild" on the fats isn't really realistic either.

Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    I partially agree with them. If I have access to grass fed meat then I eat all the fat I can get my hands on. But if the meat is corn fed, I think leaner is better.
    I agree. The nasty stuff in CAFO meat is stored in the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
    My understanding, though, is that in recent years, Dr. Cordain has moved his thinking a little on this, and is comfortable with a higher sat-fat intake than he originally advised.
    Yes, he has. This has a lot to do with the increased availability of grass fed meats.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i think the people saying 'toss the chicken skins' never had crispy chicken skin
    or else they're heretics
    I actually don't like chicken skin. I throw it to the dog. *Runs away from lynching mob*

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it's like i don't even know who you ARE anymore! )):
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast