Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting strength chest page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

starting strength chest

Shop Now
    i find lots of the moves work a lot of my body parts so it makes sense, however; i just cant believe that doing 15 reps of a bench press 1 or twice a week is enough for my chest. I've seen a shrinkage in my peck muscles since I have started and after my one set of chest excersizes I dont feel like I did anything. What other ss technique uses the chest? I'll be adding a dumbell press to my routine I think. Anyone else find this?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    If you're lifting heavy enough, you should feel it. If you already have a great deal of muscle built up, starting strength isn't the program for you. You should also be doing more than 15 reps with the warm-up.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Well, OP, what are your goals? What is your lifting experience? What is your current body comp (bf%, #)? When you say shrinkage, do you mean in the mirrior/self image, or did you measure it?

Since SS is generally for newbies or people that don't have a ton of strength and wish to add it alongside mass (especially if you are doing GOMAD).

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    SS is for people new to weight lifting that want to get stronger and are not immediately concerned about the size of their muscles, as that only loosely correlates with strength. Do you want to get stronger or just look stronger? You don't need to be constantly training and always sore in order to get stronger. SS is designed to provide the lowest amount of volume that will cause an "adaptation" (increased strength) to occur, and then to increase the weight lifted rapidly to keep the adaptations coming. You should probably think of the fact that you are increasing your bench once or twice a week for as long as it works for you. I have never heard of anyone who did the program for one + months as planned, increasing every session, that said it was too easy.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Also, Rip says you can do whatever the hell you want to at the end of the workout, once your main lifts are done. Just do the lifts on your lifting days, plus whatever else you want, and rest on your resting days. I used to do a bunch of pushups and dumbbell crap after lifting too, now that I think about it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    15 reps? Do the heaviest weight you can do for 1-3, Military Press standing for shoulder and tricep work, DB press for more chest, Floor press for triceps. Focus on Triceps and Shoulders, if you are trying to just develop a big chest for the "look" then dumbell flys are good.

it's 3 sets of 5 alternating between bench and standing overhead press each session.

EncinoMan is offline Junior Member
    MOAR WEIGHT!!!
    I had the same problem when I started. I would finish my lift and not felt like I had done enough work. After I started really trying to up my weight I realized I had been lifting much less than I should have been for the number of reps I was doing.

Just add more weight and see if that changes things. If it still doesn't seem like its doing anything, then add more weight again.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    i find lots of the moves work a lot of my body parts so it makes sense, however; i just cant believe that doing 15 reps of a bench press 1 or twice a week is enough for my chest. I've seen a shrinkage in my peck muscles since I have started and after my one set of chest excersizes I dont feel like I did anything. What other ss technique uses the chest? I'll be adding a dumbell press to my routine I think. Anyone else find this?

I suppose you're right. Rip really doesn't know what he's doing with his program. He's only been a strength coach now for over 30 years, and refined his program to make of people become very strong. Why don't you go on the SS forums and tell him how he's doing it wrong and bench press 3x5 with 5lb jumps every workout isn't enough stimulus to drive strength gains.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Also, Rip says you can do whatever the hell you want to at the end of the workout, once your main lifts are done. Just do the lifts on your lifting days, plus whatever else you want, and rest on your resting days. I used to do a bunch of pushups and dumbbell crap after lifting too, now that I think about it.
    Interesting you say that. I have not read the book but every SS site I have been on is full of disclaimers saying "don't add more excersizes or you will over work your muscles." thx for the correction. I don't think 1 or 2 added to the routine would be a problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast