Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronically weak joints - what can help? page 2

mpieciak18 is offline Junior Member
    I'm gonna give this thread a bump then let it go. Anyone else out there got advice, particularly with IF and hGH output involved in healing?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpieciak18 View Post
    Sorry to appear to be refuting your statements, paleo-bunny, but I was active before my growth-spurt (overweight) and after i lost weight, without issue. Thus, I am very skeptical of the EDS diagnosis. I'm considering seeking out a doctor who would want to diagnose it based on a biopsy of my collagen, not mere observation. And wow, I never knew about that there was an association. Interesting stuff.
    No problem. I was an active child too and that caused me no acute joint pain.

EDS cannot be conclusively diagnosed or ruled out from a genetic test for the known collagen or tenascin genetic abnormalities that cause it. In some cases a positive diagnosis can be made, so it's probably worth having the tests done.

You can determine whether you have joint hypermobility by assessing your Beighton score:
    The Beighton modification of the Carter and Wilkinson Scoring System - The Hypermobility Syndrome Association

A score of 4 or more makes you hypermobile.

You may not have Erhlers Danlos though, or Marfan syndrome which is another commonly associated syndrome.

I don't have a good fit for any of the defined types of Erhlers Danlos but I do have various symptoms that align with different well-defined types. As do close family members, e.g. glaucoma which is associated with collagen disorder. Plus I have a hypermobile tongue, extremely bendy ears, an overcrowded lower jaw and susceptibility to gum disease that are associated with the syndrome. Diagnosis of this multi-factorial syndrome is clearly still very much in its infancy and more research is needed in defining different types.

I didn't start experiencing any serious joint pains until my late twenties. Other symptoms started when I was a child though, such as inability to hold a pen or cutlery properly, generalised muscle fatigue and weakness, and interstitial cystitis.

I've also had a few acute attacks of costochondritis during the past 5 years where I found breathing very difficult for a couple of days.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-16-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Sorry for the massive bump, but just an update to the people who have commented.

I saw a medical geneticist last January, and in her opinion, I do not have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. She was kind of clueless as to why I have so many chronic injuries, but she gave me the run-around "don't do too much, just walk, or take up swimming". Frustration ensues.

My activity level is the same. I now do core/balance work 3x a week, and walk a mile daily. I have snapping triceps syndrome, which is keeping me from progressing my wrist and shoulder health ( I was on my way to doing pushups again ). Back pain is still present, but that's going to be worked out I hope.

I'm experimenting with IF again. I'm considering doing daily fasts, like 22/2 or 20/4, for maximal hGH secretion. Kinda desperate at this point.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I cannot comment on your joint issues, but I have been doing 19/5 IFing and it works for me. All you need to do is find the eating window that works for you and be prepared to eat something when it is time.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I cannot comment on your joint issues, but I have been doing 19/5 IFing and it works for me. All you need to do is find the eating window that works for you and be prepared to eat something when it is time.
    How so? Generally, or for issues you have?

I a bit energized during my longer fasts, and once the afternoon arrives, food is no longer on my mind.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    In the intro to Convict Conditioning there's a bit about the, small, seemingly insignificant movements being crucial to strengthening tendons and ligaments. I don't have it handy but it might be worth a read. It made sense to me ...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpieciak18 View Post
    How so? Generally, or for issues you have?

I a bit energized during my longer fasts, and once the afternoon arrives, food is no longer on my mind.
    It agrees with me logistically to eat between 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I see you mentioned shitty technique several times. Maybe you need to do the things you do with better technique. Maybe you should make soup with chicken feet for chicken soup and with beef soup bones with an added pig's foot for beef broth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    In the intro to Convict Conditioning there's a bit about the, small, seemingly insignificant movements being crucial to strengthening tendons and ligaments. I don't have it handy but it might be worth a read. It made sense to me ...
    By Dan John? Care to share, or should I seek out a copy? I personally loved Pavel's Power to the People. It opened my eyes regarding training methods.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It agrees with me logistically to eat between 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
    Ahhh, alrighty. Yes, it's nice to not make your schedule revolve around your meals.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I see you mentioned shitty technique several times. Maybe you need to do the things you do with better technique. Maybe you should make soup with chicken feet for chicken soup and with beef soup bones with an added pig's foot for beef broth.
    That was back in the day, when I was young and dumb, coached by others who were seemingly more dumb. I'm a technique freak now. I video-record myself along with other things to try and get things right. And I have the occasional broth, but I have a daily cup of tea with added gelatin, so I'm hoping that suffices.
    Last edited by mpieciak18; 03-03-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Mpieciak18! I'm afraid I hae little knowledge of physical training. I'm only starting myself. I did Mark's core exercises yesterday, they seemed so simple and easy. Today I'm sore in strange and unusual places.

About the arthritis you mentioned, I have had some success with that. Before I started I had constant pain in my right hip from arthritis. Very soon after starting PB I learned about nightshades - don't eat them, they contribute to arthritis. So I didn't. And in about 1 week there was no more pain at all, in any joint. And sprinkle Tumeric on everything. To me it's tastless with a small bite afterwards. Mobility has not improved much, but being pain free is wonderful.

There are lots of members os the nightshade family but the ones I used to eat and don't now are
    potatoes, white;
    tomatoes;
    peppers, all kinds including spices;
    cucumbers;
    eggplant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12