Thread: Confused about cardio page

Opera is offline Junior Member

Confused about cardio

Shop Now
    Hi!

My name is Leila. I'm new to the forum, and have a newbie question, so bear with me!

Getting to the meat of it... I am confused about the primal style workout. It seems that I have spent most of my adult life working and training for doing more and more cardio exercises, like running, elliptical work, etc- endurance activities that take 45 min-1 hour to do, every day. I am now attempting to follow the primal workout plan, and it feels like I'm not doing anything. Since the heavy cardio component is missing and I'm spending less time on workouts, it feels too easy.

I have loved playing around with Mark's Prison Workout, which feels like Real Work--- However, I can only do so many pushups and burpees before my arms putter out.

I think I understand the reasoning behind the primal workout vs. traditional gym mentality, and am open to trying it out for a time. Is there something I can do to make the transition easier or more fulfilling?

Also, what is the Primal Blueprint's take on games that involve a lot of running, like basketball? Is basketball cheating?

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    If it feels too easy, up the intensity. Lift heavy weights, run sprints, etc.

If you're playing a game/sport, I wouldn't worry about it from a "chronic cardio" standpoint. Except soccer - that might be borderline. Basketball is actually pretty good. Plenty of relatively slow movement combined with fast, explosive movement.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    If it feels too easy, up the intensity. Lift heavy weights, run sprints, etc.

If you're playing a game/sport, I wouldn't worry about it from a "chronic cardio" standpoint. Except soccer - that might be borderline. Basketball is actually pretty good. Plenty of relatively slow movement combined with fast, explosive movement.
    Chronic cardio involves a few things:
    1. Long timeframe, typically over 45 minutes.
    2. Steady state- a lack of speed change
    3. Frequent workouts in this style, to the point that recovery is not achieved.

Soccer a few times a week doesn't qualify, unless you aren't recovering.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You could try doing a weight lifting program like starting strength. I did Mark's PBF for a few weeks but missed seeing the progress from lifting, so I'm lifting for a while.

Playing sports does not qualify as chronic cardio. Even soccer - you aren't running at a steady state for it. Mark plays ultimate frisbee often (or at least he did when he wrote the book).

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Games are what is is all about, the more the better.
    Lift hard
    Sprint
    and cover long distances.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Chronic cardio involves a few things:
    1. Long timeframe, typically over 45 minutes.
    2. Steady state- a lack of speed change
    3. Frequent workouts in this style, to the point that recovery is not achieved.

Soccer a few times a week doesn't qualify, unless you aren't recovering.
    And that goes for just about all sports. In fact, pretty much all sports fit into the "play" category and are encouraged.

+1 for increasing intensity. If it feels too easy, make it harder. Be careful though. Sometimes the transition for chronic cardio can be confusing because you do feel like you're doing less, but really you're doing just as much (sometimes more) in a shorter amount of time. Experiment with adding intensity, but listen to your body.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Opera is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, everybody. Thanks especially for the last link. That's exactly what I needed.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    A more recent link mark posted was about a study involving fat loss, It was about involving sprints during low-level activity, so go for a walk in the park 3-4 mile, and run about 6-8 sprints for 8-10 seconds during that walk, or try it with a stationary bike, and also as everyone says, lift weights, and sprints.