Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a Budget? page

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Primal Fuel

So what are some of your cost saving tricks while following a Primal lifestyle?

I've been way over spending on both farmer's market items, and eating out. The eating out thing I can pretty much nip in the bud, but I do like my expensive grass fed beef cuts.

I know I can save some bucks by getting things like Beef Heart, and Tounge, and some of the cheaper cuts. I don't have to buy all of my Eggs at the farmer's market. I can get very cheap ones down in china town. ($1.75doz.) as well as cheaper veggies down there. And since Eggs are such a great food I can increase the amounts of those I eat. Heart is cheaper than grass fed ground beef.

Not EVERY bite of meat that passes my lips needs to be pastured, but I want to keep a high porportion of it that way. I enjoyed my $1 slices of Pork Shoulder, even though I'm sure they were full on factory horror pork.

Does anyone know an excellent butcher here in NYC? I know that if I could get a freezer chest I could save a few bucks by buying a 1/4 or 1/2 cow. But that's not realistic for me at the moment.

Another great inexpensive food is Kippered Herriing. The tins are fairly cheap, and I really like them. I tried to convince myself to eat Sardines more often, but I like Kippers so much better. A childhood food. I will eat canned Tuna now, and then, but I like the vastly more expensive Tuna Steaks, so the cans aren't my favorite.

Other seafood ideas? Octopus is usually really, really cheap. I'm intimidated by learning how to prepare it, but that just takes some practice.

One of my main Pre-Primal staples was lentil beans, they're so cheap, and filling that I would eat them weekly to keep costs down. It was hard to give up the idea of such a cheap staple, but here I am. I am often broke so they were a frequent meal.

Cabbages are cheap. I like those. Chicken Wings are nice, cheap, and tasty.

Uh... I'm probably rambling here.

I'm sure I could work out some crazy IF schedual to help keep costs down, but I don't react well psychologically to that sort of "deprivation" mentality. (I suppose I could buy a really nice steak, and IF for a set period, and then reward myself with that. But how healthy would that be?)

SO what are some of your tips, tricks, secrets?

Tiger is offline Junior Member

Wal-Mart. I know organic and grass-fed is better, but I really don't have a choice in the matter. I live with my grandma so money's tight, plus all the farms around here don't carry uncured bacon or grass-fed meat.

Maybe when my grandfather decides to get one of his cows slaughtered I can raid his deep freeze XD!

"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor." - Aristotle

Heh, that's what we used to do when Granny still kept animals on the farm. Hogs, and Cows...but alas that's over a decade and half ago. She never did really get used to buying meat.

Lillian is offline Member

EGGGS =) but you already mentioned that. I must go through 6-8 a day because I can't really get pastured meat. And don't forget bacon. Staple food since it's high in fat and you can easily get them hormone and antibiotic free and uncured. And check your local grocery stores for wild fish. They usually have really random types of fish, but it's cheaper than grass fed steaks lol. Preparing the fish is intimidating at first, but there's a lot of websites that will teach you, and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Tuna packed in olive oil is tasty enough, and relative to other things, inexpensive.

Pot roast. Pork shoulder. Country-style pork ribs. Cheap chicken whenever it's cheap. "Manager's Special" meats. Chicken livers. Buy a big turkey and/or ham at every turkey/ham holiday when they are ridiculously cheap. Lots of frozen vegetables.

I'm broke at the moment--I'm experimenting with pea soup as part of the 20-percent that's not 80 percent... I've got cheese and kielbasa to go with, but a small cup of soup stretches the meal and I'm not going to the grocery store again until the end of the month, even though I'm out of lettuce...

My huge long post extolling the nutritional virtues of Bacon got nuked by the internet, and the vaugeries of the wi-fi tides... alas.

Also I am going down to chinatown tomorrow to buy cheap eggs because tasty as they are $4 eggs at the farmer's market are not cheap.

But I just don't have the stones to buy their meat/poultry/fish down there. I once saw something labled as "Beef Pein", and a limb of the purest snowy white flesh, which ended in a green scaled claw.... o_0

Anyone else with tips, and tricks to save money?

Makael is offline Junior Member

1) How good are you at using leftovers?

That's been the #1 best way for me to save money. I shop once a week on Sunday. I've got my grocery and cooking down to a science such that if I overeat during the week, I'm likely to not have *any* food in the house come Saturday. It lets me have almost zero food waste.

Not to mention I recently bought a dehydrator, so that if I somehow manage to buy too much, I can just dehydrate it and save it for another day.

2) Do you buy any packaged food or condiments?

Aside from spices, I don't think anything that I buy comes in a box/jar/can/something.

3) Veggies + fat fill ya up.

4) If it's cheap, I say find out how to cook octopus. I'd love to have a source of that here!

Someone mentioned Pork Belly as being inexpensive but I haven't looked for it yet.

Octopus is intimidating because you have to clean it, and not having anyone to show me how to do that I'm a big chicken. (It involves blanching it, and removing a membrane or some such.)

I'm pretty good at the left overs thing. Even though I'll eat a whole steak for breakfast, I can't down a whole pot roast in less than 3-4 sittings.

tooround is offline Senior Member

I do the best I can with the money I've got. I try to keep my freezer stocked with meats that I buy on sale. I buy everything on sale.

I'm trying to network and see what markets there will be this summer. I'd love to go 'cleaner' but ...

BTW ... while calorie counting, I usually made a midweek trip for vegetables and a few little things. It'd be around $20. I made a midweek trip for specials yesterday and guess what? That's right $18.

My biggest saver has been not eating out.

cyberaly is offline Junior Member

i'm so glad i'm not alone in the budgetary issue!

i went to the health food store to get some virgin coconut oil and ended up getting some ghee too. i hadn't seen it before and i've been wanting to try it.

I also planned to be making spaghetti (well, meat sauce over veggies for me, spaghetti for the bf) and i found an organic, low sugar sauce that was just past the "best by" date. i pointed it out to the cashier and she gave it to me for free! i figure it probably won't kill me. besides the few grams of sugar that are in it, i mean. it was originally $7 though, so I was majorly jazzed.

we are also major sale shoppers for meat. i'm getting braver with meat so that helps too. and i'm finding that cheap cuts will go a long way in the crock pot. i'm not quite to the organ meats yet. *shudder*

we are moving to southern california soon and one of my top priorities will be getting a chest freezer so I can do some serious stockpiling of the meat. another top priority will be putting together some kind of greenhouse (we're moving to the desert) so I can grow my own veggies. nom nom nom!

however, i live in the part of oakland called "new chinatown" and there is all kinds of stuff there that I should be taking advantage of while i'm here! cheap veggies, seafood, coconut milk, etc. i'm inspired to go find some deals this weekend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast