Thread: Are grocery stores finally "getting it"? page

abbyful is offline Member

Are grocery stores finally "getting it"?

Shop Now
    In the check-out lane at the grocery store yesterday, this had replaced the candy display in some of the lanes:

checkout_display.jpg

And it's just a regular chain grocery store, not a "health food store". I was pleasantly surprised!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Might want to say what this, as it will be ages until your attachment is approved.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

abbyful is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Might want to say what this, as it will be ages until your attachment is approved.
    The candy display had been replaced by fresh fruit, nuts, Larabars, organic dried fruit snacks, etc.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Nice, it is a step in the right direction.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think they're starting to get that this is potentially a very large market. I don't think it's really that they want "healthy products" per se, but they're definitely seeing the dollars behind the appearance of "healthy".

A lot of people don't talk about it, but they're spending the money. The Boyfriend and have a tradition of going out for breakfast on Sunday mornings (not while I'm doing Whole 30, though, so not today) and we had the same waitress for about a month before we started talking about food, and she said she doesn't eat gluten. Now, I don't know if she's actually Paleo/Primal and that's what she tells people for simplicity's sake or if she just doesn't eat gluten. She said she does every once in a while, so she's not celiac.

But my point is that there are a lot of people out there who might not be talking about it but are spending a chunk of their paycheck on food they want to believe is healthy. You'd have to be a fool to ignore a trend like that.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Grok is offline Senior Member
    The grocery stores will "get it" once the demand is there. This was tried at a local Raley's here and it didn't last very long, maybe a few months, then it was back to the same old candy.

Once the consumer demand is there, the stores will change.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Whole Foods stock has gone up $30 and change in the last year or 46.9%. And their same-store numbers continue to increase.

Walmart stock has gone up just under $20 in the last year or 36.5%. Their rev gains come from new stores.

While both are terrific gains, think about the difference between increasing business in existing locations or having to build new stores to increase revenue.

You betcha grocery stores are going to get it eventually. The bottom line is all that matters and the more stores offer foods that people don't have to be afraid of, the better will be their bottom line.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Better than the local stores, but certainly makes sense. That type of food doesn't just appeal to paleo/primal; people from across the spectrum, from vegans, vegetarians, and even SAD eaters are willing to eat nuts, fruits, and larabars more and more. It's a smart business move to cater to known healthier foods. Same reason organics are showing up in stores.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Most of the stores here do this - mainly due to pressure from parents of young children who want at least ONE checkout line that doesn't result in a whiny, pleading mess of a toddler.