Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Feed a cold, starve a fever" page 2

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I haven't had to use this remedy since going primal, but back in the day I used to dissolve baking soda in about a half cup of warm water and drink it immediately while still fizzy (tastes terrible). Additionally, I would gargle baking soda and water every few hours and spit it out. I feel like I avoided and treated many sore throats and colds this way.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    For a sore throat gargle with 1/2 a teaspoon of salt in a cup of water. Zinc gluconate lozenges like cold-eze also work for me. Everyone can use a bit of zinc, but they do contain a bit of corn syrup. They are nasty enough that I don't eat them like I used to eat candy.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    neti pot. if you're super congested it may take a few tries to get irrigated, but these things really work. most cw cold remedies "work" by drying out your sinuses and nasal passages. this causes a boomerang effect and most often extends the life of the cold.

if you don't have one, order one immediately. in the meantime, tent your head with a towel and spend a few minutes every couple of hours over a pan of boiling, steaming water. a couple drops of eucalyptus or lavender oil really helps in there.

blow the junk OUT of your nose. don't snorfle it back inside.

repeat.

bone broth with ginger steeped in it. as much as you can tolerate. you need the fluids and the electrolytes.

sorry you feel like crap.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    The last cough I had I made a cough syrup. It really worked mostly to numb my throat and make it not tickle which is what was causing me to cough.

I don't have the exact recipe at hand (I found it on line somewhere) but I remember the ingredients

Honey
    Vinegar
    Fresh grated ginger
    Cayenne pepper powder

It's quite spicy but I actually liked the flavor. I put it in a little squeeze bottle so I could just shoot it straight to the back of my mouth. Plus that way I could carry it in my pocket too.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    When fighting an infection your immune system needs plenty of medium-chain fatty acids in which to envelope the offending pathogens and eliminate them from your body. So eat more lard or coconut oil. Also, histamine promoting foods that stimulate the immune system, such as citrus, chilli and chicken fat, are a big help. +1 for honey too.

Also take plenty of rest - listen to your body.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure, but I think once you feel bad, the cold is going to run its course. So, you might as well stay hammered. Anything 80 proof or higher should do it, and some liquor stores deliver. If you're lucky enough to live in one of those states where hard alcohol is sold at places like Rite Aid, and they deliver, ask them to bring some Vicks Vapo Rub with the alcohol.

1. apply fuzzy slippers to feet
    2. wrap body in snuggy clothes or jammies
    3. thank the nice delivery person when s/he comes
    4. rub Vicks on chest
    5. put straw in alcohol
    6. turn lights low
    7. watch bad movies so you can fall asleep

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Thank you everyone

My dripping nose is as raw as my throat now, but I appreciate the well wishes and good ideas.

I especially like the recurrent theme of alcohol!

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    This has always worked for me, actually. I don't often get fevers but when I do, I generally don't want to eat. Colds and other minor calamities make me RAVENOUS!
    Once I made some lentil/smoked pork/veggie stew and scooped it over sweet potatoes. I felt like I got better a lot faster and I ate a crap tone. Like a big dish every couple hours. Its now my go-to sick food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12