Thread: Tired with headaches still after 4 weeks page

Annegad is offline Junior Member

Tired with headaches still after 4 weeks

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, hope anyone has some ideas for me!

My husband and I have been primal now for 4 weeks. We have cut out all grains and sugar but still eat some (high fat) natural yoghurt. We eat when we're hungry, stop when we're full.

Neither of us needed to loose weight. I lost about 1.5 kg (around my thighs which I am thrilled about because no amount of exercise ever moved the saddlebags!) and my husband about 3 kg but our goal is to reduce carbs for our overall, longterm health. I don't know, but I suspect we're eating around 80 to 120g of carbs a day each.

Two questions:
    1. My husband (who is 6'5") eats as much or more than he did (minus the carbs) but he is still hungry after four or five hours (whereas I am not, I can go for 6-8 hours). Do men need to eat more frequently?

2. We still both have headaches and feel quite tired and all we want to do is sleep (like we have flu or something). I thought going low carb would bring better energy levels etc but I'm not convinced now. When does this all get batter? Will it? Why didn't Mark mention this in the book?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome, thank you.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annegad View Post
    Hello all, hope anyone has some ideas for me!

My husband and I have been primal now for 4 weeks. We have cut out all grains and sugar but still eat some (high fat) natural yoghurt. We eat when we're hungry, stop when we're full.

Neither of us needed to loose weight. I lost about 1.5 kg (around my thighs which I am thrilled about because no amount of exercise ever moved the saddlebags!) and my husband about 3 kg but our goal is to reduce carbs for our overall, longterm health. I don't know, but I suspect we're eating around 80 to 120g of carbs a day each.

Two questions:
    1. My husband (who is 6'5") eats as much or more than he did (minus the carbs) but he is still hungry after four or five hours (whereas I am not, I can go for 6-8 hours). Do men need to eat more frequently?

2. We still both have headaches and feel quite tired and all we want to do is sleep (like we have flu or something). I thought going low carb would bring better energy levels etc but I'm not convinced now. When does this all get batter? Will it? Why didn't Mark mention this in the book?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome, thank you.
    Primal is not necessarily low carb - cutting out the grains doesn't mean cutting carbs - especially if you aren't looking to lose some weight. Try eating some more sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and parsnips.... My favourite is them roasted in olive or coconut oil with some fresh rosemary and garlic.

Experiment with what feels better for you

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    Is it something environmental? Have you had your house checked for radon? Carbon monoxide leak? Anything else you could be coming in contact with like that?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Do you exercise? Maybe you want to try sprinting and lifting and upping carbs. If I go below 150g carbs i get tired as well
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Do you exercise? Maybe you want to try sprinting and lifting and upping carbs. If I go below 150g carbs i get tired as well
    Thanks all. We do both normally exercise but really haven't felt well or inclined enough to do anything physical for the last four weeks. I did a bit of a run once and it was really hard work. Maybe we should up the carbs then. Maybe we do just have a bout of a bad cold. The roasted pumpkin and parsnips sound yum, I'll do some of those to get the carbs up.

I have been eating primally for 5 weeks, and the first 4 weeks, I felt terrible. The past week has been much better. The main thing I have changed in the last week is eating more fat. I went to an endocrinologist on Wednesday, and I told her I had been feeling much better since increasing my dietary fat. She smiled and told me I had hit the nail on the head---fat helps enormously with glucose utilization.

I am getting the fat from bacon (lots of it), avacadoes, coconut butter, other red meats, pork tenderloin, bacon grease to cook with my vegetables, butter also in vegetables, coconut oil, homemade mayonnaise, and nuts. I have never felt so good before!

Wishing you the best.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    I felt pretty foul for 3-4 weeks at the start, i felt like it was never going to end, and then one day i started feeling better. I now feel soooo much better. It's 100% worth persevering.

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Are you eating enough in general?

Hello
    Thanks again. I feel I am eating enough in general, I don't feel starving and I eat until I'm full.

I have been making a conscious effort to eat more fat though perhaps I should eat more. So the question then is: up the carbs or the fat? I think my head knows it makes more sense to up the fat though if it means getting through this by upping the carbs maybe I should try that. As weight loss isn't a goal maybe a few more carbs is a good idea then.

The main thing is that I will hopefully get through it all soon, thanks for your input and views, it's great to know that there are others out there going through the same thing.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I always recommend checking your fat intake. Your husband may benefit from more fat in his meal (keeping him fuller for longer). Try adding more fat for a week or two and see how you feel. In the beginning, I found high fat helped with cravings and keeping me full. I don't actually remember experiencing any carb-flu symptoms either.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Many people think they eat a lot, and they don't. There is a good chance you aren't eating as much as you need to. Have you tried counting a day's calories to see if you really are eating enough? I've met people who can't finish a bowl of freaking soup, and wander around looking weak most days. To them, that bowl of soup is a TON of food, because their hunger hormones are all screwed up. To me, a bowl of soup is about as good as a glass of water. I can eat two pounds of seasoned meat, three avocadoes, three cups of vegetables with a few eggs and three tablespoons of fat in one meal - about an hour of eating. That's a normal day, not a hungry day. Usually 2500 to 3500 calories, and I am doing great!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html