Thread: Whey vs. Casein - yes, the oft debated protein shakes. page

Christina* is offline Senior Member

Whey vs. Casein - yes, the oft debated protein shakes.

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks,

I know whether protein powder has a place in a primal diet is often debated and I understand it is processed and therefore goes against the "eat real foods" sentiments of a primal diet.

However, I'm interested in potentially adding in a protein supplement to be taken a few times a week on busy days and when I need a little extra protein. I have a few questions though.

1) Whey isolate vs. Casein - I understand whey is faster absorbed and therefore better for post-workout. However, I won't necessarily be taking this post-workout. In that case, is it better to stick with casein?

2) Fat loss is my current goal (though I am strength-training to maintain any lean mass I do have - a laughable amount - and attempt to put on some). Would the insulin spikes that may come through consumption of whey at times other than PWO be a negative? In that case, would a whey/casein blend or strictly casein be better?

TIA.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Paralysis by overanalysis. Buy the one that tastes good, fits your budget, and is less processed.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Christina* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Paralysis by overanalysis. Buy the one that tastes good, fits your budget, and is less processed.
    Thank you. Gotta remember sometimes that "overanalysis creates paralysis."

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the term is just Analysis Paralysis. It's a lot more succinct.