Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dizziness When Reducing Carbs? page 3

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by leslieinvirginia View Post
    Also, I find with carbs that I crave them less when I have less. I don't seem to have a kill switch! Once I get started, it's hard for me to stop. Possibly better planning would help with this, like having every meal planned down to the ounce!
    If it is a genuine craving, that might indicate problems with neurotransmitters. For example, it seems over-consuming carbs can be an unconscious attempt to self-medicate a low-serotonin status. However, the real solution to that is not to self-medicate with sugar/starch (or alcohol) but to make sure you have enough tryptophan. Julia Ross is very interesting on these kinds of issues:

Amazon.com: The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Gain, and Mood Swings--Naturally (9780143120858): Julia Ross: Books

On the dizziness -- as has been said, it's a known effect and often seems to be related to electrolyte imbalances. A sudden change in diet upsets these, and probably making sure you're drinking enough fluids, using a little broad-spectrum unrefined seasalt with your food, and supplementing with magnesium (and perhaps potassium) should make that go away.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-16-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    The forum has provided great advice (water, sleep, vitamins, etc). However, I agree with one poster about dealing with the "carb flu" without relying on high sugar fruit. It sucks for a bit but pretty soon you’ll have even, sustainable energy without relying on carbs, caffeine, etc.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    ketosis is a natural diuretic so drink way more water than you think you need.

miso soup and avocados will help for sodium and potassium restoration.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123