Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar replacement in recipes page

Douaron1 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi all,

Looking for ideas on replacing sugar in 'common' recipes. Also suggestions on flour replacement. I am thinking of coconut flour, but what would be your ratio?

Thanks.

SullynNH Guest

we've used almond flour, raw honey would be an option, but it's got a high GI, some use agave nectar...most things don't need anything if you use coconut or some fruit as that provides it's own natural sugars...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Depending on what I'm making, for sweetener I either use liquid stevia, or Z-sweet (Erythritol) which is granular like sugar.

Anonymous Guest

you really can't do a 1 to 1 change in recipes to much other than flour, depending on the recipe, of course. With regular flour, gluten happens, and the stickiness is vital to many recipes in various forms.

A lot of people use almond meal, flax meal or coconut flour for various recipes in varying amounts. For example, without gluten, making a tortilla is quite difficult. But, a regular bread isn't so bad.

For sweetener, honey also works pretty well.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

vanilla extract works for me sometimes

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I use stevia, xylitol and honey. Mostly stevia though. I dont bake so much anymore so I dont need to sub. Also, I would think that if you used coco flour you would need to check the ratios. Coco flour absorbs A LOT of liquid... way more than flour does.

What are you making?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Douaron1 Guest

Tara tootie...

I am trying to make things like loafs, muffins, etc. with coconut flour.

Sugar note...

As for sugar substitute, I am more looking for a way to 'remove' the ingredient without 'destroying' the recipe! I will add a 'touch' of sweet, but it's more that if I just remove the sugar, will by recipe 'flop'?

Catalina is offline Member

Douran. . .take a look at the amount of sugar and see what the wet-to-dry ratio is. You might want to cut down bit on the liquids. I'd also suggest finding some recipes around the internet and see what their ratios are.

Douaron1 Guest

...Beginner questions...

Catalina, is sugar wet or dry?

I'm guessing wet, because of the 'steps' to follow in most recipes, but not sure.

Thanks for the great info guys! I'm no GREAT cook and appreciate the help.

Catalina is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sugar would be a dry ingredient. . .think about an old-fashioned cake mix (yuck!), where all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, etc.) are in there, and you just add egg and oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast