Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: True, Raw Primal page 6

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Now that's funny! Exactly where do you think they got 'dogs'?
    mitochondrial dna suggests wolves and dogs diverged about 135,000 years ago. both are opportunists and somehow some dogs figured out how to not get eaten by grok, but to accompany him instead.

The Truth About Dogs - 99.07 (Part Two)
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    mitochondrial dna suggests wolves and dogs diverged about 135,000 years ago. both are opportunists and somehow some dogs figured out how to not get eaten by grok, but to accompany him instead.

The Truth About Dogs - 99.07 (Part Two)
    Very interesting! But as long as dogs and wolves can cross breed and produce fertile offspring, they're not so 'separate'~

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    nope. their gene sequence differs by only about 1%, but that was enough to get rover inside the cave and keep wolfie in the woods.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Have you ever read about the whales that cooperated with humans to hunt other whales in Australia? Wikipedia has a minimal description of it. Killer whales of Eden, Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think that cooperation between humans and animals isn't all that terribly rare.

I think modern humans like to imagine the world before modernization as a brutal, fierce place full of wild animals, a place where humans are threatened often by predators. It's kind of a cultural filter we have because of how we believe we are separate from nature and that nature is a dangerous place. It is entirely possible there were many cultures that forged alliances with more powerful predators than themselves. It's not like you don't see this among animals as well.

I think the desire to believe we were plant-based people is sort of another facet to this same belief system of man being separate from nature. There's the wild, scary nature full of toothy predators and then there's the idyllic nature of romantic environmentalism full of wildflowers and butterflies.

Vegetarians want to put us back in that romantic vision. Back to the Garden of Eden. They think we've fallen away from kindness of nature and have become separate because of our meat eating. Primal/paleo sometimes has a tendency to try to figure out how we could have survived a brutal nature full of predators and fill their visions with man the hunter fantasies. I think the truth is something completely else.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Inksplat is offline Member
    Really, I think the fact that humans hunted to extinction a majority of the worlds Mega Fauna is a pretty good indicator that we have always liked us some meat. You don't rid entire continents of large, fatty animals if you really would just love to sit down and eat a salad, ya know?
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    Really, I think the fact that humans hunted to extinction a majority of the worlds Mega Fauna is a pretty good indicator that we have always liked us some meat. You don't rid entire continents of large, fatty animals if you really would just love to sit down and eat a salad, ya know?
    Even with how commonly available salad was year-round in the regions where megafauna thrived?

Inksplat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Even with how commonly available salad was year-round in the regions where megafauna thrived?
    Well, even if you wanted to spin it that way, its pretty much believed that the mega fauna were exterminated because they didn't know enough to get the hell out of dodge. African wildlife evolved alongside the walking monkeys, and their advancing hunting techniques. They evolved specifically to fear humans--that is what kept them alive.

The rest of the world (Asia, Australia, Europe, the Americas), didn't have that benefit. So, when humans showed up, the animals didn't have any instinctual fear, and so it was easy pickings.

With that in mind, then it is likely that once the migration started, human diets were probably ridiculously high in meat, because it was easier to kill a huge animal than it was to gather enough plants to even momentarily sate your tribe.

I mean, the dodo, for example, got annihilated because it would pretty much just stand there and let people walk up and hit it in the head with a rock.

Seems like a pretty easy choice to me.
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Have you ever read about the whales that cooperated with humans to hunt other whales in Australia? Wikipedia has a minimal description of it. Killer whales of Eden, Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think that cooperation between humans and animals isn't all that terribly rare.

I think modern humans like to imagine the world before modernization as a brutal, fierce place full of wild animals, a place where humans are threatened often by predators. It's kind of a cultural filter we have because of how we believe we are separate from nature and that nature is a dangerous place. It is entirely possible there were many cultures that forged alliances with more powerful predators than themselves. It's not like you don't see this among animals as well.
    A reason most humans have symphathy with other animals and actually want to help them, could exactly be that we are dependent on their survival as species (so we can eat them f.ex.). If they extinct, we have less chance of surviving too.

About the bones in the fire... Why do cooked meat taste so freaking good to us if we are not "supposed" to eat it that way?
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    You lost me with fire as part of the fossil record (as opposed to, I dunno, maybe the *archaeological* record). Particularly as a proof of something being recent.

Where can I get my own fossilized fire to wear around my neck to show how primal I REALLY am?

Because in a world where survival hangs by a thread and every single calorie counts towards keeping me alive, you can keep that hump of fat from the Aurochs' shoulders! Give me a small the lean inner cut of tenderloin to go with these insoluble green frond's I've found!

Officially invoking Formosa.
    Lol Nice!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    About the bones in the fire... Why do cooked meat taste so freaking good to us if we are not "supposed" to eat it that way?
    Flawed logic.... A brownie and hot fudge sunday takes so freaking good too.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast