Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duck Eggs page 2

Weatherwax is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    FYI--all eggs come dirty originally; some farmers don't wash them in order to leave the natural coating on the egg, because it keeps the egg from spoiling. A washed egg, like the kind you get from the store, is dipped in a sealing solution during processing. I usually rinse or wash straight-from-the-bird eggs, to avoid getting dirt or bacteria in my omelette.

I love duck eggs, especially soft boiled! I found them a bit tricky to crack, but then read that you can whack 'em around the circumference with the back of a knife before puncturing that thick membrane.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    That's interesting. I was expecting a stronger taste, but the taste of these was almost indistinguishable from chicken eggs. I didn't care for the texture of them scrambled though. They were much firmer. I usually beat a little HWC into scrambled eggs, but these might have benefitted from plain milk. I think 1/2 or 1/3 duck eggs in a frittata might nice. They made fabulous custard - dense, firm and silky.

They are supposed to be great for baking...doubt I'll experiment much with that, lol.
    I made mine over easy, which compounds the flavor. I imagine if you cooked it more, it would be less noticeable. Mine were from some ducks near my parent's house so they're as pastured as you can get. Maybe it's not fair to compare them to a CAFO chicken egg.

I can imagine them making some incredible custard or ice cream.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Mmm, deviled eggs using duck eggs is some kind of special. I think I'll add that to my Super Bowl snack list. Yum.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Some of my gals (the ducks) lay eggs with a colored coating on them. That is just fine, and doesn't hurt the eggs. Some of my gals will lay where ever they are, and being flat footed, they tend to have more muck in their pen than hens because they don't scratch and turn the hay over. Which means, they may be a little dirty. If so, washing will not hurt them.

My oldest son did an experiment with duck meringues and hen meringues. Kids were 50/50 on telling them apart. Adults pretty much 100% could tell. Those raised on store eggs hated the gamey flavor, while those raised on free range eggs loved them.

Whites take longer to beat. They will form in a ball when you poach them (unlike hen eggs that flatten.) They make excellent salted eggs. I love an almost hard boiled duck egg. They are great for quiches - which we eat a lot of when the girls get going in the spring - lovely with fresh greens!

I could eat deviled duck eggs all day if they didn't make me feel sick to my stomach. One a day is about all I can handle.

If you find goose eggs, they taste less gamey and are WONDERFUL for baking about anything that you want. 1 goose egg equals about 4 hen eggs. Also make great eggs for decorating for Easter if you blow them. (Stick a wire in it and twirl around to make blowing easier.) Duck eggs also are good for blown eggs as they tend to have a harder shell than hen.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think your son's little experiment is pretty spot on... and this is why I love duck eggs so much.

I grew up on pastured hen, duck and other eggs... including goose, quail, and even guinea.

As a matter of fact the first time I ever ate a CAFO cheap white store bought egg I was about 20 years old. As soon as I cracked it into the skilled I thought it looked wrong. It was pale, the yolk didn't stand tall, the white was so runny... it gave me pause, but they were supposedly fresh it didn't smell. I cooked it. I seasoned it. I put it on my plate.
    And I took one bite and literally spat it right back out onto my plate, very indecorously.
    AHHhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggg! What on earth... it's insipid, and flavorless, and runny...
    It must be bad.
    Toss it.

I float tested the rest of the eggs and they were fine.
    And asked the guy I was living with... who laughed at me and told that's what "normal" eggs look like.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12