Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Fuel 'fast'? page 3

Cia
    Cia is offline Junior Member
    RobinNM, maybe I should have pointed out the emphasis around 'fast'. Yes, fasting, no eating or drinking (in some cases no water). I consider liquid shakes a 'fast'. lol

Thank you for your reply, and I will try Primal Fuel out of curiosity.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cia View Post
    I consider liquid shakes a 'fast'.
    Wrong.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Wrong.
    It's been clear from the beginning of this thread that she is referencing shake consumption in relation to doing a Protein Sparing Modified Fast.
    Since it is technically CALLED a fast I think she is OK using the term.
    I'm sure you are familiar...

"The Protein Sparing Modified Fast, or PSMF, is a total fast modified by the intake of circa 1.2-1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight (IBW) and fluids, vitamin and mineral supplementation.
    PSMF was designed in the late 1970s as a diet for a rapid weight loss for the morbidly obese.[1][2] PSMF is a type of very low calorie diet with dehydration being a health concern, hence fluids, vitamin and mineral (potassium and sodium) supplementation is necessary and doctor's supervision is recommended. PSMF diets consist in foods that are naturally rich in good-quality protein and particularly low in fats (chicken breast, egg white, ham, cottage cheese)."
    Blah blah blah, yada yada...
    Protein Sparing Modified Fast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course that depends on the "shake" involved.
    It must be low fat, low carb, and high protein.
    I don't think that Primal Fuel meets that requirement due to it's coconut contents... and higher fat than what a "program" PSMF shake would normally contain.

All that said... IMO the OP should just google how to do a PSMF with real whole foods if that is what she is interested in doing.
    Doesn't Lyle McDonald have that Rapid Fat Loss book that explains this approach???
    And I believe he specifically says not to use powders. PSMF is pretty rough from what I hear... and using a quick digesting shake that does not produce any satiety won't help things at all.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cia View Post
    Paleobird, good to know about Primal Fuel and gaining weight.
    To be fair, there was a LOT of good food that weekend, not just the Primal Fuel shakes. But PF does have a lot higher fat content than most protein powders due to all the coconut in it. It is meant to be a whole meal replacement.

The problem about any liquid calories is, too often, they end up getting added to the diet instead of replacing something.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The Protein Sparing Modified Fast, or PSMF

I don't think that Primal Fuel meets that requirement due to it's coconut contents... and higher fat than what a "program" PSMF shake would normally contain.

All that said... IMO the OP should just google how to do a PSMF with real whole foods if that is what she is interested in doing.
    Doesn't Lyle McDonald have that Rapid Fat Loss Handbook that explains this approach???
    And I believe he specifically says not to use powders. PSMF is pretty rough from what I hear... and using a quick digesting shake that does not produce any satiety won't help things at all.
    Exactly.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Seems like the OP is determined to do this no matter what we say, so, more power to him /her.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    Obviously, starving is very unnatural and not primal. It would never happen to Grok because he could just go to the grocery store.
    lol

Nady is offline Senior Member
    It's been clear from the beginning of this thread that she is referencing shake consumption in relation to doing a Protein Sparing Modified Fast.
    Since it is technically CALLED a fast I think she is OK using the term.
    I'm sure you are familiar...

"The Protein Sparing Modified Fast, or PSMF, is a total fast modified by the intake of circa 1.2-1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight (IBW) and fluids, vitamin and mineral supplementation.
    PSMF was designed in the late 1970s as a diet for a rapid weight loss for the morbidly obese.[1][2] PSMF is a type of very low calorie diet with dehydration being a health concern, hence fluids, vitamin and mineral (potassium and sodium) supplementation is necessary and doctor's supervision is recommended. PSMF diets consist in foods that are naturally rich in good-quality protein and particularly low in fats (chicken breast, egg white, ham, cottage cheese)."
    Blah blah blah, yada yada...
    Protein Sparing Modified Fast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't Lyle McDonald have that Rapid Fat Loss book that explains this approach???
    I think this is one of those *sounds good on paper, but the body doesn't work that way* kind of things. With a true water fast, after the third day or so, the body goes into a protein sparing mode~ it's just a built-in survival thing. But when you drink or eat anything, you prevent that shift of hormones. Even if you drink pure protein, you body can and will break it down into any macro it wants~ and you basically end up on a VLCal/crash diet. Not protein sparing at all.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I think this is one of those *sounds good on paper, but the body doesn't work that way* kind of things. With a true water fast, after the third day or so, the body goes into a protein sparing mode~ it's just a built-in survival thing. But when you drink or eat anything, you prevent that shift of hormones. Even if you drink pure protein, you body can and will break it down into any macro it wants~ and you basically end up on a VLCal/crash diet. Not protein sparing at all.
    I agree...
    I wasn't trying to promote it particularly.
    Just getting past one particular posters semantics issues, and trying to explain it for real... and give a resource for it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree...
    I wasn't trying to promote it particularly.
    Just getting past one particular posters semantics issues, and trying to explain it for real... and give a resource for it.
    Oh yeah, I know you're smarter than that~ I'm surprised though, at how many people think that if they drink/eat just protein, their body will use it only as protein. They're usually the same ones that ask how a 20oz. steak can kick them out of ketosis~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123