Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A potential way to improve the legality of raw milk page

Reese is offline Junior Member

A potential way to improve the legality of raw milk

Shop Now
    I have an idea. I think that if we can get raw milk offered to, for instance, soldiers at boot camp we'll be able to get it more-legal and more-accepted everywhere, via some sort of trickle-down. And this might be in my head, but at least in my experience members of the military are more down-home than others, so they'd be more accepting of raw milk if they've never had it, or it would remind them of home if they have. I think we might be able to convince a base to try it.

I don't think it could hurt to try this... so if you have a dairy in a state where it's legal to sell raw milk off-farm, and if you are in driving distance of a military base or some other training facility, and want to see about getting a contract to do this, get in touch with me. They're litigation-ridden but they're also a huge potential revenue. I figure it's worth a shot, and I want raw milk to be easier to get a hold of, and think this could help.

Paleobird Guest
    Raw milk is legal in California and we've got all kinds of military bases (having so much coastline). I'm retired and have no desire to change that but this could be a good place for you to start.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Getting the military to buy raw milk isn't going to happen. First the military believes the more processed the better. Second if it ever killed anyone for any reason, you can't have it. Third if it doesn't help someone's OER for another star, it's not happening.

We can't have VFFs, no whole milk and after one idiot OD-ed on Jack3d it got banned.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Not going to happen, military is big on processed foods coming from big companies, like Kraft. The more and more processed, the better, in their opinion. Raw milk must be had fresh.

Your best bet is probably to work with these guys: Where Can I Find Real Milk Products? (The Weston A. Price Foundation)

Or in states where the sale of raw milk is legal, maybe it could be used at (private) schools?

Edit: apparently you're discouraged from drinking milk in bootcamp, because it can make you vomit during exercise.. And they only allow 2%. (don't bite me if this isn't true, just what I heard)
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-13-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    i was thinking about putting a raw milk stand next to my local (.25 mile away)
    legal pot store..............

it could work..... >shrug<

Paleobird Guest
    To the OP, there is a huge dairy farm here in California called Organic Pastures. They supply raw dairy to this whole state. They are examined by health inspectors regularly and all that.

I agree with what has been said about the military liking to do big industrial contracts, not little local stuff but these guys are pretty big. This isn't some guy selling out of a cooler in a parking lot. You might want to contact them. See if they would be interested in working together.

Organic Pastures sounds like it might fit, thanks!

I understand where everyone is coming from saying that they won't want to do it, but one thing I've learned over the course of my studies is if you can back up what you want them to buy as meeting some legitimate need (MWR qualifies) they'll often do it. There's actually a special exception to the regularly required competition in awarding contracts if you come to them with something novel. I'm not sure that they'd be willing to do it, but I think it could be worked out where it happens at least on some scale... maybe raw cheese would be a good start.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    I just don't see the logic behind your reasoning. The government is the impediment to the legal sale and consumption of raw milk. So why would you think the military (which is one of the largest organs of government) would be willing to buy raw milk? The military serves the politicians who banned raw milk in the first place! I agree with you that if the government allowed the military to drink raw milk they'd have a harder time telling everybody else they couldn't. But you could say the same thing about anything the government bans. If the military members were allowed to buy pot, and it were legal to grow and sell pot to anybody with a military ID, it would be much harder to maintain support for the laws against marijuana. In fact, if raw milk started to become legal throughout the country, the military probably be the absolute last segment of society to jump on board. The Military is the second most government controlled institution in America after prison.

You're not going to understand my reasoning if you're coming at it with such a conspiracy theorist perspective. Or maybe it's just that you're not all that familiar with the system.
    Since when do the various agencies have any more interaction with each other than is necessary? DOD doesn't care what the FDA's doing any more than DOT cares what DOEd is doing. That is, they don't usually. Maybe

And, just an FYI (adding to my reasoning that your perspective of the fed govt is confuddled, but not related to raw milk), there's a thing going on over the concern about so many prisons being outsourced, and the govt wanting to outsource more of them. That is to say, some people are concerned they're not government controlled enough.

I'd say the most government controlled institution relates to banking/mortgages or highways. I'd also say, with regard to actual allowability, Congress would have a lot more to say about raw milk than the FDA. That's another reason to keep it within state boundaries, as crossing state boundaries is the easiest way for Congress to make a law on it (and they sometimes make food laws, though the FDA can usually regulate stuff well enough). Internal things can also be regulated in this way (there was a case about wheat during the Great Depression, where the Supreme Court found farmers' produce for self-use also counted as interstate commerce, I think in NC), but that's less commonly valid. I think they tried/are trying to do that with marijuana laws, but milk is considered a much more innocuous substance than that.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    I just don't see the logic behind your reasoning. The government is the impediment to the legal sale and consumption of raw milk.
    The OP is talking about doing this in states where it is already legal. Right out there in the open at the supermarket like California.

Quote Originally Posted by Reese View Post
    You're not going to understand my reasoning if you're coming at it with such a conspiracy theorist perspective. Or maybe it's just that you're not all that familiar with the system.
    Since when do the various agencies have any more interaction with each other than is necessary? DOD doesn't care what the FDA's doing any more than DOT cares what DOEd is doing.

Congress would have a lot more to say about raw milk than the FDA. That's another reason to keep it within state boundaries, as crossing state boundaries is the easiest way for Congress to make a law on it (and they sometimes make food laws, though the FDA can usually regulate stuff well enough).
    Exactly. Also, you might want to think about supplying agencies that are state or local level such as fire departments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast