Thread: Primal Journal (Torena) page

torena is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Torena)

Well, this is it. The place that I can publicly post what I eat without fear of "OMG grains have been shown to lower heart disease why would you EVER want to give them up?!" I should give a bit of a history before I begin. 6 years ago I was pregnant with my first child and I wanted to clean up our diet. I found a source for grassfed meat from a local farmer and climbed on board. The sticker shock was hard, and we weren't always perfect, but as more and more stories came out about mainstream food - the pink chicken in nuggets, the questionable material in grocery store ground beef, tons of contaminated meat being recalled - the more I wanted to get back to it. I had heard of people doing Paleo, but it was all these "crazy fitness people" and I have never been athletic in my life. Surely it wasn't for me! Fast forward a few years, it's summer 2011, and my weight has crept up to 195 lbs. I have two children. I want to play with them but I feel like a useless lump of a human. I'm overweight, not quite depressed but still not where I want to be mentally, anxious, etc. I go to join the new Gold's Gym and find that there is a new section for Crossfit that is just opening with a huge discount to join. Finally, real world people in my life eating this way! I signed up. We immediately jumped into a Paleo challenge but... life happened. We had some scary medical stuff happen with one of our kids, and then the holidays hit. I tried to get my family involved in eating this way. I bought Paleo Comfort Foods, Everyday Paleo, Eat Like a Dinosaur, Make it Paleo.. but I was just struggling. I was going to Starbucks a few times a week, McDonald's at least once a week, it wasn't good on my pocketbook and it wasn't good for ME (or my family for that matter). Then, 3 weeks ago, we went out for Indian food and I gorged myself. Oh, I hurt, and it was so tasty. That night I was in some pain. The next day I ate the leftovers for lunch.. and then I had a gallbladder attack. I did some research, everything said to eat vegetarian with some cold water fish and avoid eggs, beef, fowl, pork and saturated fats like the PLAGUE. I made a salad with some chicken breast and avocado and had another attack. I thought it was the chicken. I later realized it was likely the fat of the avocado making it happen. I went on a juice fast basically for 2 or 3 days. All together I had 5 attacks within 7 days. I had an ultrasound that confirmed numerous small stones and "probably" some sludge (I love that probably, such a specific medical term.. thankyouverymuch but let's focus on what you actually *see* and not what you *suspect*). It was my wakeup call. I had been advocating for a paleolithic/evolutionary diet protocol for a year and I had not been following it myself (I felt like such a hypocrite) and now.. now is my chance. I started reading up on paleo and gallbladder, and it seems that there are a lot of people going into a higher fat diet experience this because your gallbladder is actually used. I'm eating a lot of salads with either wild alaskan salmon or chicken breast and using either flaxseed oil or olive oil for them. Night before last I had my first scrambled egg with no problems, so this morning I made 2 of them in 2 tsp of olive oil with no problem. I'm going to continue slowly increasing my fat intake.

In addition I also have suffered from hypothyroidism for a long time. I was diagnosed 4 years ago. We've got my medication nearly to it's sweet spot and my endocrinologist is SUPER supportive of paleo (she's seeing good results with her patients apparently ). I also am breastfeeding so I need to be careful with my carb intake dropping too low and making me lose my milk supply. I've heard there are a couple of different camps - some say increase the fat (which I'm not comfortable doing just yet) and the other says keep your carbs up. So I continue to eat white rice occasionally and sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and fruit to keep the carbs up.

I started at 205 lbs. I am down to 196.2 as of this morning. I know many people say to ditch the scale but I like seeing results daily on how I ate the day before. I can usually pinpoint why I had a rise or drop in the scale.

So, today for food:

Breakfast: Trader Joe's hot smoked salmon (does have some brown sugar in the brine), 2 scrambled eggs in 2 tsp of olive oil, and a strawberry.

Lunch: Half of a chicken breast I sauteed the night before last with some olive oil and Penzey's Northwoods seasoning, green beans cooked with some red onion, garlic and tomatoes.

Dinner: "weight watchers" chicken and mixed vegetables from our local Chinese restaurant. Everything is steamed with sauce on the side. We've been out all day, I need more protein in my fridge, and now one of my kids is sick and wanted some, so...

I may polish off the remaining little bit of blackberry dairy free sorbet that a friend brought over for our meal together last night.

I need to go back through the Primal Blueprint books and figure out movement and portion sizes again, it's been a long time since I read them.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Torena! Sounds like you have your plan well thought out. Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Thank you!

I work today, and these days are always tricky for food. If we get a terribly busy day (it's a retail job) then it's hard to sit down and eat. I'm going a little early to hit the farmer's market across the street as I'm out of lettuce.

Breakfast: remaining bits of TJ's hot smoked salmon, 2 scrambled eggs cooked in 2 tsp olive oil, two strawberries, a handful of blueberries, about 16 ounces of water.

Lunch: I managed about 4 ounces of chicken breast at work (it was SO busy), but ran to the grocery store after, around 3. Had some sushi.

Dinner: Chipotle. I was exhausted from work AND a Saturday grocery run (what was I thinking?). Had a bol with rice, double chicken, lettuce, pico de gallo.
    Last edited by torena; 07-14-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Yesterday was rather tricky. We went to my inlaws for my son's birthday. She made pinchitos with chicken and a salad with mangos and marinated tomatoes in olive oil and vinegar for me.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs in 2 tsp olive oil, about 1 ounce of smoked salmon
    Lunch: 1 skewer of pinchitos (grilled meat recipe from Spain), salad, tomatoes with their liquid as the salad dressing. 4 or 5 steamed Maryland blue crabs, a small piece of birthday cake (my first gluten in 3 weeks), some blackberry sorbet.
    Dinner: Hard tacos from Chipotle with chicken, pico de gallo and lettuce.

Weight: 194.6

Today I am noticing a bit of brain fog and fatigue from that gluten. It's like I want to get up and do stuff around the house but I'm just barely below the threshold of having the energy to do it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Breakfast: Pan seared salmon with Penzey's Sunny Spain seasoning, 2 scrambled eggs with 2 tsp olive oil, sauteed spinach with Penzey's Fox Point seasoning and 1 tsp olive oil.

Lunch: Red leaf lettuce and frisee salad with grape tomatoes, flaxseed oil/apple cider vinegar dressing, a bit more salmon.

Snacks: 1/4 of an almond butter/raw local honey sandwich on Udi's white bread, half a banana and a treat of a Starbucks Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher (which was just too sweet).

Dinner: Arroz con Pollo (tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot, olive oil sauce with chicken, rice, and peas).