Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this vegetable?

Hybrid View

What is this vegetable?

Nice article on Huffington Post about under-appreciated produce. Great for those who are trying to incorporate some different fruits and veggies into their diet after getting tired of the same ol'. Cheers to farmers' market season!

What Is This Vegetable? Obscure Summer Produce You Should Be Eating
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

It's first time i've seen such a vegetable...and I'm curious to see what is..

It might be a tomatillo, the transparent outer area is removed, the fruit is inside. However I haven't seen that much outer "husk" before so I'm not 100%.

I've had 3 on the list. Love garlic scabes. I'm always looking for new veggie to try

Thanks for posting!

oh, there's a slideshow. they should've shown the purple kohlrabi. i grew those in my garden a few years ago, quite tasty if you don't let them get big.

Quote Originally Posted by nopie View Post
    I've had 3 on the list. Love garlic scabes. I'm always looking for new veggie to try

Thanks for posting!
    I read that as "scabies". Doesn't sound tasty at all!

ground cherry?

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    ground cherry?
    +1. My grandmother used to grow them. I actually saw them at a farmer's market last summer and bought a container. Unfortunately, not quite ripe, so not as tasty as they should have been.

Upon googling, I see ground cherries are also known as "Cape gooseberries", so I guess those saying "gooseberry" are right too!
    Last edited by honeypig; 07-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.

that first thing (with the paper case, not quite ripe) is a gooseberry absolutely delicious! in season now in Australia and ripening on the bush at my front gate as I type. Of course, with 3 other family members who enjoy them, they're not something we get to eat lots of

I love watercress. There is a canyon in Malibu, near Neptunes Net, a live seafood store, where it grows wild. Makes for a great picnic.

Tercio