Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this vegetable? page

jesssa is offline Member

What is this vegetable?

Shop Now
    Nice article on Huffington Post about under-appreciated produce. Great for those who are trying to incorporate some different fruits and veggies into their diet after getting tired of the same ol'. Cheers to farmers' market season!

What Is This Vegetable? Obscure Summer Produce You Should Be Eating
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Alexdu is offline Junior Member
    It's first time i've seen such a vegetable...and I'm curious to see what is..

Kiowa is offline Junior Member
    It might be a tomatillo, the transparent outer area is removed, the fruit is inside. However I haven't seen that much outer "husk" before so I'm not 100%.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I've had 3 on the list. Love garlic scabes. I'm always looking for new veggie to try

Thanks for posting!

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    ground cherry?

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    oh, there's a slideshow. they should've shown the purple kohlrabi. i grew those in my garden a few years ago, quite tasty if you don't let them get big.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    that first thing (with the paper case, not quite ripe) is a gooseberry absolutely delicious! in season now in Australia and ripening on the bush at my front gate as I type. Of course, with 3 other family members who enjoy them, they're not something we get to eat lots of

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    I love watercress. There is a canyon in Malibu, near Neptunes Net, a live seafood store, where it grows wild. Makes for a great picnic.

Tercio

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    I love watercress. There is a canyon in Malibu, near Neptunes Net, a live seafood store, where it grows wild. Makes for a great picnic.

Tercio
    Yeah, There's wild watercress growing along streams & springs in/around the SF bay area as well. I recall reading many years ago, that there is/can be a parasite growing on it, that it ought to be dunked or rinsed w/ a liquid disinfectant before enjoying it wild. This was after years of nibbling on it when I happily found it on hikes & never formally got sick from it. But I suppose if I did ingest any of that parasite, it could have just joined the party in my gut & not made indentifiable troubles. Some Grok/Grokettes had parasites & it likely shortened or could have even ended their life if they badly afflicted. I've had parasitic infections, no fun.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Yeah, There's wild watercress growing along streams & springs in/around the SF bay area as well. I recall reading many years ago, that there is/can be a parasite growing on it, that it ought to be dunked or rinsed w/ a liquid disinfectant before enjoying it wild. This was after years of nibbling on it when I happily found it on hikes & never formally got sick from it. But I suppose if I did ingest any of that parasite, it could have just joined the party in my gut & not made indentifiable troubles. Some Grok/Grokettes had parasites & it likely shortened or could have even ended their life if they badly afflicted. I've had parasitic infections, no fun.
    Yeah, well that's Giardia and it can be anywhere. You can get it in your own garden or picking up your dog's poop as well as from open water. I would never drink any water running through livestock areas. However it's been many years since they ran cattle in Malibu, now they just run Mercedes.

Tercio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast