Thread: Bodyfat % increases in week one - anyone else experience this? page

Mugruith is offline Junior Member

Bodyfat % increases in week one - anyone else experience this?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi gang,

New member here with a newbie question/concern: has anyone else experienced increases in bodyfat % in week one of Primal Living?

I have jumped into Primal with both feet for the 21-day challenge and have been following the blueprint religiously. I feel great and have actually lost 3 lbs, but my Withings scale (which I've been using for years and have found to be quite accurate) is indicating that my bodyfat composition is changing, for the worse. In the course of just a couple of days it's claiming that I've increased my bodyfat by more than a percentage point.

Any advice or words of wisdom here?

Thanks,

Mug

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    The scale is using electrical impedance to calculate body fat, they are not accurate. Ignore it and move on.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Just because a scale has been "accurate" in the past doesn't mean it will stay accurate. At any rate, everything I've read about those bodyfat scales indicates that they really aren't all that accurate, and the readings can be easily influenced by how hydrated you are, how recently you've had a shower, etc.

I say, don't even bother checking your bodyfat % that way. Go with how you feel, how you look, how your clothes fit. If you're really interested in keeping track of your bodyfat %, get the calipers and follow the recommended technique when using them.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I've come to believe there is no such thing as as "quite accurate" electronic home scale as far as body fat is concerned. My home scale still reads me at anywhere from 32% to 25% when measurements and calipers put me at about 15.5%. I can look in the mirror and know the scale is wrong (hello pretty ab muscles!). Besides, its readings vary by the minute. Electronic scales are effected by hydration changes among other things. In your first week, I can pretty much guarantee you lost a bunch of bloat due to dropping your carb intake.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Even if you want to use the scale I would not measure once a week with it. Once a month at most.
    Measurements and pictures tell a much better story.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Mugruith is offline Junior Member
    You guys are the best. Loving this community - many thanks.

Mug

RaiseFitness is offline Junior Member
    Electrical impedence scales are far from accurate. I generally show 10-12%, and by hydrostatic and 7-site skinfold test, I am 5% on a bad day.

zdgober is offline Junior Member
    you probably lost water in the first week, which is not included in your fat count, so it'd probably drive up your fat %. Keep going though, you're doing great. Losing the excess water is part of the process. Now you'll hopefully start to burn fat too.