Thread: Bloodloss/Anemia page

onalark is offline Senior Member

Bloodloss/Anemia

Primal Fuel
    So, post-miscarriage I seem to have lost enough blood to make me anemic. That's a new one! I'm so exhausted, and pale, and I have a constant headache...it's not a great feeling.

I'm eating plenty of animal protein combined with vitamin C, and my OB gave me some 150 mg iron pills. I'm getting around 8-9 hours of sleep a night, plus naps during the day.

Any other suggestions to build my blood supply back up? Liver smoothies? :P

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I'm anemic too, borderline needing a transplant from severe blood loss (score = 8.8; iron = 21). Coupled with low potassium (2.7) and low chloride. My doctor diagnosed me "trainwreck." Her exact words, lol.

She put me on an iron supplement, which is 350mg per pill and directed me to take 3-4 a day, and MEQ20 of potassium supplement with food. Food-wise, shellfish like oysters, clams, and mussels, and lots of chocolate have been on my menu as of late. Chocolate coconut water and cacao nibs helps as they're rich in iron and also magnesium. And I've been eating lentils. I like them and they're high in iron. I really like making smoothies with chocolate coconut water + avocado.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely the shellfish (especially clams) in addition to the liver...
    A good red chowder is tops IMO... heme-iron, plus get some decent vitamin c content in there from the veg you add to help absorption. Tomatoes, bell peppers, some spinach or broccoli... along with other yummy veg like squash.
    Top 10 Foods Highest in Iron

Also... for non-heme, using the Dutched cocoa powder makes makes the iron more available, reduces the phytic acid that blocks absorption, and actually increases the percentage of iron in the product. Dutched cocoa is alkalized... I look at it like the nixtamalization of corn. It reduces the bad stuff that gets in the way and opens the good stuff up for digestion. Plus the dutched is less bitter so it's easier to get more in you IMO.

I was anemic for ages... the pills made me very sick to my stomach. Managing it with food has been better. But for you, both approaches are clearly warranted for a while at least.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Liver and spinach. Make you strong like Popeye.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Avoid drinking tea within 3 hours of a meal as that blocks absorption of iron.

I have to pay attention to iron intake as I don't eat red meat. Eggs are a decent source of iron. Broccoli is the ideal vegetable as it is also high in vitamin C.

I am sorry for your loss.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. I ate, like, a bucket of clams on Tuesday with a bunch of lemons squeezed in my water. Maybe I should eat a couple more buckets. :P

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I'm anemic too, borderline needing a transplant from severe blood loss (score = 8.8; iron = 21). Coupled with low potassium (2.7) and low chloride. My doctor diagnosed me "trainwreck." Her exact words, lol.
    Holy shiznit. I hope it's temporary? I'm just, y'know, a little pale and shaky. You sound like you've got serious business going on.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I am sorry for your loss.
    Thanks, P-B. I appreciate it.