Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The grains - human adaption? page

The grains - human adaption?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Now we have all learned that grains might not be a good source for energy and that it causes inflammation in the body and fat storage, in some cases obesity.

Why does not all people eating grains at a regular basis get cancer/get sick/get fat? I can easily say that I am the most "pure" paleo/primal eater in my group of friends/family/work colleagues (roughly 150 people, various ages). No one of them are primal and all eat grains as a staple food.

If grains are so bad, why has the human as a species evolved a digestive system which can handle them? IF we were not able to handle them them we would not eat them (as such, the "caveman did not eat grains and we have not yet adopted during the approx. 15.000 years we have been eating grains so it is bad for us" theory falls. We do not eat the nut of the pinecone since we can not handle them.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Ask and answered many times and at least twice in two recent treads.
    PS
    Also answered in The Primal Blueprint Cordain's books and Wheat Belly. Not to mention many more more studies that are linked in the recent threads and many more books out on the shelves.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-13-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Grains are good for you, just ask dirlot. He has looked at all the studies I have posted.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    PS
    Also answered in The Primal Blueprint Cordain's books and Wheat Belly. Not to mention many more more studies that are linked in the recent threads and many more books out on the shelves.
    This....Ignore the muppets

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Grains are good for you, just ask dirlot. He has looked at all the studies I have posted.
    I have also checked out the studies you posted. A lot of times i see things like "heart disease was reduced on a whole grain diet conpared to a refined grain diet"
    And random facts posted without scientific research to back it up
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I have also checked out the studies you posted. A lot of times i see things like "heart disease was reduced on a whole grain diet conpared to a refined grain diet"
    That is the thing with all the money they have if eating whole grains was better than not eating them they would have published the study. No longer hiding behind the whole grains vs refined grains smoke-screen but actually being able to show that they are good for you and essential for heath. The fact that they haven't published that study is very telling.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gods unborn son View Post

If grains are so bad, why has the human as a species evolved a digestive system which can handle them? IF we were not able to handle them them we would not eat them (as such, the "caveman did not eat grains and we have not yet adopted during the approx. 15.000 years we have been eating grains so it is bad for us" theory falls. We do not eat the nut of the pinecone since we can not handle them.
    Agriculture and grains are a leading factor in what progressed certain civilizations over others. In a world where people worked harder and had less access to food .. grains were probably a godsend just for the calories. Railroad workers probably ate a lot of canned beans, etc. However, today we have reached a point where most of us get little physical activity so sitting and eating grains all day has a much different effect simply from a glucose and over eating perspective. Today we have access to most major foods across the world .. there is no reason to eat grains in our current environment. I think they served a purpose in our history but most countries there is no need for this type of food when you have access to much better. IMO there was never any an adaption. Just because you can eat something without immediately dying from it doesn't mean it is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    It could be true comparing whole grains to processed/white grains. I would imagine a lot of heart disease patients probably have insulin problems and whole grains vs processed grains might help their overall health enough to make a difference. Of course, it is very misleading because most people read whole grains reduce heart disease, etc and it makes them think grains are cancer fighting which is totally not true. They simply are stating they are better (.. or not as bad) as processed grains in this regard.
    Last edited by statikcat; 07-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.

statikcat: I agree with you, thank you for the reply.

All: where is the link/study that shows that grains as a food actually are, undisputedly, bad for the human species. No "might/could/maybe/probably/may be the reason for/in some circumstances has shown to be" a cause for cardio vascular disease/obesity/all the bad shit that is going on in western society regarding health/sickness.

Why do paleo/primal people gladly eat a shitloads of bacon (which is quite some processed food) whilst avoiding rice/oatmeals/white potatoes (all natural clean foods)? (provided that there is no obesity problem to be overcomed)

I am not trolling, I am really keen to understand why this is the case since I am primal eating myself. Fundamentalism? Lack of information? "I define myself by what I eat"? Further, non native english so sorry for typos.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    The real issue is dwarf wheat (which is basically what you're consuming in every wheat product on the shelves). This discussion is like discussing High Fructose Corn Syrup. 20 grams of HFCS a day probably won't do anything all that bad to you in the long run. However, the mere fact that Corn Syrup is in nearly EVERYTHING means that the typical American is digesting to much of it, WAY to much of it.

The other part of this question that is more important than getting fat, is getting sick. I'm celiac, I was sick for a LONG time and didn't even know it until I went Paleo. For a lot of people, we just get acclimated to our own personal "norm". Just because someone doesn't think or realize that there is a problem doesn't mean that there isn't. I can list a solid 30 things that changed for the better by eliminating grains.

Granted, most people aren't celiac. At the same time, if a person feels better not consuming something, then don't freaking consume it. It's pretty cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gods unborn son View Post
    statikcat: I agree with you, thank you for the reply.

All: where is the link/study that shows that grains as a food actually are, undisputedly, bad for the human species. No "might/could/maybe/probably/may be the reason for/in some circumstances has shown to be" a cause for cardio vascular disease/obesity/all the bad shit that is going on in western society regarding health/sickness.

Why do paleo/primal people gladly eat a shitloads of bacon (which is quite some processed food) whilst avoiding rice/oatmeals/white potatoes (all natural clean foods)? (provided that there is no obesity problem to be overcomed)

I am not trolling, I am really keen to understand why this is the case since I am primal eating myself. Fundamentalism? Lack of information? "I define myself by what I eat"? Further, non native english so sorry for typos.
    I will take your word for it that you are not trolling but I did point out

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    PS
    So all the information is there and the think to the thread with even more info is here

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60173.html
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast