Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Anti-Paleo Screed..please refute at your leisure! page

jllundqu is offline Member

New Anti-Paleo Screed..please refute at your leisure!

Shop Now
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    The forks over knives article did warn you that we paleo/primal types are uncivilized. lol

Very true... very true...

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    First off, welcome jllundqu. Most people don't seem to know about the search function, so not surprised you didn't, but honestly it is rather helpful tool. And will keep people from turning a new (and unnecessary) thread into 100 comments about how there are other similar threads that already exist.

Also, just an FYI, because I figure I might as well say it nicely, before someone else says it not nicely. Not sure if by "refute" you mean on the actual blog post itself, or just on this thread. If the former...There's a long history on here of similar "OMG, there's this totally anti-primal blog post somewhere on the interwebs... GO GET EM" thread requests that usually equally degrade. The purpose of the forum is not to be a reactionary comment army for whatever ridiculous health blog post out there, but rather for our own enjoyment, education and edification. The article linked is by a guy who wrote a book called "The Starch Solution" and it's on a website who's entire niche focus is vegetarianism. Our time is better spent focused on the people who are hungry for paleo/primal info, than being comment trolls on ignorant blogs.

If by refute, you mean the latter, well... there's a lot of threads and posts on MDA that likely already address the issues they raise in the article. If you feel it's necessarily to refute, feel free to do so. Perhaps a blog post of your own somewhere, with point-counterpoint. But really, what's the point?

Seriously though, glad to see you're on board with Primal and on the forums. And congrats on your progress so far. I'm heading over now to check out your journal.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Thank you,

my intention was not to send trolls to another site, but rather to start a discussion here about the contents of the article. I appreciate your thoughtful response.

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I love Denise Minger. “Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) Raw Food SOS
    She's my favorite refuter. If I have specific questions, searching MDA or her site usually helps put things to rest for me.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    That article is filled with so many hyperbolic, over-the-top, non-academic, and just plain bullshit claims that it isn't worthy of a point-by-point criticism. The article was not written in a sufficiently intelligent and scholarly manner to merit a scholarly response. The article was written with the intent of generating a reaction - not fostering academic discussion.

Also, consider the author - he's selling a book called "The Starch Solution" - think he has an incentive to promote a plant-based diet as much as possible?

There are legitimate criticisms of certain aspects of Paleo, but the article you linked is not an attempt to discuss/develop legitimate criticisms. It's an attempt to sensationalize, and sell books.
    Last edited by jsa23; 07-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    That article is filled with so many hyperbolic, over-the-top, non-academic, and just plain bullshit claims that it isn't worthy of a point-by-point criticism. The article was not written in a sufficiently intelligent and scholarly manner to merit a scholarly response. The article was written with the intent of generating a reaction - not fostering academic discussion.
    How different is that from Denise Minger's writing?

Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    Also, consider the author - he's selling a book called "The Starch Solution" - think he has an incentive to promote a plant-based diet as much as possible?
    How different is that from Mark Sisson? He is selling books and powder.
    Last edited by KathyH; 07-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I don't need no stinkin' fork or knife to eat meat, just pick it up with me mitts and chew

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The best response to criticism of anything that you feel secure about is, "Okay."
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast