Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i bought an already peeled fresh young coconut . can i just eat it raw? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

i bought an already peeled fresh young coconut . can i just eat it raw?

On the label it says cut off the diamonds top and drink the Juice inside but I didn't know if I can just take a big bite right out of it.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    If it is like the ones I have bought, then no, you cannot just bite into it. The white outer layer (coir) is very thick and fibrous, not really edible. Open it carefully by punching a couple holes or slicing off the top, drain the juice, then crack it open to get at the meat on the inside.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Use a cleaver to chop into the point about an inch or two down and after you have several cuts in it insert your knife and pry the top off. Try you Tube how to open a young thai coconut - there's some good videos. Watch your fingers!!! Also scoop the meat out and put it in smoothies.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    So I busted it open and drained the water out of it into a bowl and scooped out the white flesh. Can that be eaten raw? And what is fat and Cal's of the flesh and water I poured out. Is it the same as like flaked coconut for the flesh and coconut milk for the liquid?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, you can eat the flesh raw. Here's the nutrition facts for the water:
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut water (liquid from coconuts)

I have yet to find nutrition info for the flesh of young coconuts. Seems like it is lower in fat than that from mature coconuts, which is what the flaked, dried stuff is. But I could be wrong.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    The tender young coconuts, depending on what kind of coconut it is, how young & how much meat has developed & their size & weight, can have varying amounts of fat & calories. Its meat is tender & often sweet. It's water is more nutritious than coconut milk from a mature coconut, as the coconut water still has a majority of its nutrients in it , as the flesh is still thin & young. Bottom line, they are delicious & healthy treats. i drink the juice with a straw, crack/pry it open & scoop out the flesh with a metal spoon. Talking about this, I believe I'll go crack one open now, thanks!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The flesh is called "coconut meat."
    The liquid inside is called "coconut water."
    When you put the raw flesh into a blender and puree it into a liquid, you get "coconut milk."
    When you dehydrate the flesh to remove water content and then put it into a blender, you get "coconut butter."

Just in case you want to find out the nutritional value of each, those are the terms you want to use. I'm pretty sure I'm right.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Technically & traditionally, mature coconut meat is chopped up, & blended w/ warm or hot water, strained & squeezed once for top quality coconut milk. 2nd straining of same pulp with more warm/hot water yields a thinner, lesser quality "milk" that's not very satisfying compared to the 1st...

That Artisana coconut butter is addictive! My old health food store in Cali had it in bulk, from 5 gallon buckets!

If I was stuck on an atoll, I could live on fish & coconuts & be happy I think, like that Tom Hanks movie.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Technically & traditionally, mature coconut meat is chopped up, & blended w/ warm or hot water, strained & squeezed once for top quality coconut milk. 2nd straining of same pulp with more warm/hot water yields a thinner, lesser quality "milk" that's not very satisfying compared to the 1st...

That Artisana coconut butter is addictive! My old health food store in Cali had it in bulk, from 5 gallon buckets!

If I was stuck on an atoll, I could live on fish & coconuts & be happy I think, like that Tom Hanks movie.
    Don't forget your soccer ball.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post

That makes sense....as thats how I have read to make coconut milk before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast