Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist lifestyle page 7

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Why were they so incredulous?
    Because Fox News is doubly charged with selling products and selling a brand of politics that says you should want these things.

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    We (husband and I) are currently living in a less-than-300 sq. foot space. It is an enclosed "pod" inside the gutted shell of our old farm house which is undergoing a total rebuild--we are doing ALL the building ourselves. It is going to be 750 sq. feet when we are finished. Co-workers think we are nuts building something so small (I would be happy with 400 sq. ft!), but it is a "jewel box" house. Not a big, crappy, cheap-quality McMansion. Cedar siding, hardwood floors, stonework (hand chiseled by me), blah, blah, blah. Not Tumbleweed house minimal, but pretty minimal by modern standards. It seems pretty roomy to me. We lived in a 22 ft. Airstream for 2 years, and that was just sweet. We lived in a 70 sq. foot camper for 4 months while we re-framed the house, and that was a lot of fun. Part of me would like to someday live in a truly tiny home-- or go back to living in an Airstream.
    Anyway, no mortgage, no car payments, minimal collection of junk helps keep things pretty pared down.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That is really cool.

It's interesting because based on what he grows, it's a simple life, but he definitely has the primal bases met. Between fishing (and he could likely grow clams/oysters underneath him) and what he grows plus the chickens/ducks. . . he's truly set. So long as it rains.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    My minimalist way of life is a little different.
    Husband and I donated 3/4 of our closet to Salvation Army this year. Including old working TV's, phones, cables, old games, magazines, books (donated to local library), dishes, blankets, underwear and bras, clothes, shoes, tools for car repair, pens and pencils and some warm winter items...
    Why I ever needed 5 different winter coats beats me but I'm glad they're gone now and I just live with 1 (my favorite).
    I am currently walking around in my 18 year old Sketchers that are still made out of REAL fabric (not oil based plastic). These shoes are made out of canvas/suede and my foot is starting to come through the bottom of the shoe...LOL.
    I've looked around for shoes yeasterday and all I can find now is shit made out of petroleum...WTF!!!

I refuse to buy stuff made out of oil!

When I finally replace my most basic items (1 pair of shoes, t-shirt, sweater and pants) I'd like it to be a natural fabric.
    We buy local everything, including water (geothermal mineral water). I've also purchsed my first alpaca scarf for winter and getting a hand-made quilt made out of 100% cotton next week.

Patagonia, REI, North Face etc seem to have sold out to CHINA...and everything is made out of OIL! WTH happened over the last 20 years?!

Also, I refuse to buy big corp name brand items like Ralph Loren, Hillfiger etc...but where do I get clothing that is made with natural fibers, that supports a small community and is maybe Fair Trade?
    If I had to order online and pay for ship/handle I guess that'll be okay once but I hate the idea of supporting the oil company by making some truck driver fill his truck with gas and deliver me natural clothing packaged in cardboard (cut down tree) and a plastic wrap (oil)...it'd be ironic, no?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Issabeau, Maybe you could find some locally made cloths at a craft fair. I have a friend that makes cloths for men and women and she only uses hemp and linen. Her place is off grid so all her sewing machines are solar powered. She sells her stuff at craft fairs and festivals. My husband has a pair of her pants and I have a hat and skirt of hers; her stuff holds up really well.

I don't know where you are located Issabeau, or I could give you some ideas.

I wanted to do that here, but honestly, it's cost prohibitive. The simple garments that I wear (i have a uniform) would cost about $130 per outfit, and I'd need at least 4 mix/match things.

So, I went with American Apparel. They have organic lines, but I haven't bought those. It's basically mostly natural (there is elastic in some things, polyester in iothers, but you can find all cotton things), and they are fair trade and a decent price.

I'm looking at replacing my cibrams with palladiums or chuck tailors, as both of these are fabric (though with rubber soles), though you might consider shoe repair to get your current ones re-soled.

Anyway, an idea. We try to source most things locally. But locally made/designed/organic/fair trade clothing costs a fortune here.

Would not owning a car(out of pure choice) be considered minimalist? I love to walk everywhere and I actually like hauling groceries back. Plus, I save money. Seattle has a nice transit system for long distances.

We also don't have a television or couch.

i would say so, GPQ. I mean, if you see it that way.

We were car-free for over a year, but it got too burdensome to carry our groceries as far as we were. We need a lot of groceries. And, so we got a car. very helpful. I think if we'd stayed in the city, we might not have done so, but when we moved to a burb, yeah, we needed it.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.
    I've checked the farmer's markets and all they make is bags, hats, gloves, scarves and mittens.
    I've looked online at a few places and some Fair Trade clothes are made in Peru/India/Africa and are pretty decent looking and very cheap!
    I can't see myself ever wearing hemp shoes, so I guess I'll just have to find a place to resole my soon to be 19 year old canvas sketchers....gah.

zoe, we would also like to ditch the car but husband gets free medical care at the Va hospital and that place is 120 miles from our home

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast