Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACK! Acne from Paleo?! page

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

In the past week or two, I haven't been spot on with following Paleo. I had one or two cheat meals, but more importantly, I've been slacking with getting my normal amounts of fruits and veg. Two days ago, I noticed a breakout of what looks like cystic acne (a large pimple that turns into a very hard bump). I only have one bump, but even when I ate crappily, I never had anything like this.

Has anybody had any similar experiences to this? Did going back to previous levels of fruits and veg rectify this?

Stabby is offline Senior Member

My triggers are insulin spikes and too much/oxidized polyunsaturated fats. Paleo pretty much eliminates all of that for me. Fruit and vegetables really never did anything for my acne other than preventing me from eating grains and perhaps providing some vitamin c and potassium where my diet would otherwise not have enough. If anything, less fruit is better because less fruit means less insulin resistance and lower insulin spikes. But like I said, paleo has completely eliminated this for me. I got a little when I accidentally supplemented with too much iodine.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

BlackBeard is offline Junior Member

Often times those cystic bumps are the cause of changes in horomones.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Hardy har har...puberty was awful enough when I went through it 15 years ago.

I read about the hormonal effects from some Google searches; I guess I was wondering if any paleo/primal folk have experienced this (looking for some kind of correlation).

Either way, I'm going back to strict Paleo and, hopefully, I won't have to go to a dermatologist to get rid of the one bump I do have.

lesliek is offline Member

Bern is offline Member

Are you eating lots of dairy? The (natural) hormones in dairy products have been shown to cause acne.. some people are more sensitive to it than others. When I gave up eating dairy 2 years ago I noticed a huge difference in acne/inflammation in my skin. I have been eating a bit of butter over the last few days as a way to increase my saturated fat intake but thismorning woken up with a few deep pimples and redness/inflammation around my nose which I haven't had since giving up dairy products. Looks like I will have to get my sat fat from coconut oil/animal fats!

Good luck with it.

jilliganis Guest

I'm on day 26 of the Primal Blueprint and had some nasty acne appear on my chin 5 days ago - NOT cycle related. Drank more water, drank Yogi Detox tea every day and applied Salicylic acid on the spots. They are just about gone...!

shastagirl Guest

your body is detoxing. up your water intake and maybe if your concerned about them see an aesthetician at a day spa/salon (i used to work in one and 1/3 of our clients are men so yes alot of men actually go in there!) they can do an extraction and clean it up a bit faster.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Bern, anyone?

Yes, I've had cheese binges start acne, which usually I don't get.

Has anyone seen a difference from eating ghee instead of butter? Might it cause less acne?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast