Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Primal Success at 60

Primal Fuel
    Back on March 4th of 2012 I weighed in at 213 lbs. and decided to get my health and weight under control. I was coming up on my 60th birthday in April and wanted to get back under 200 lbs. After doing some research I decided on a Paleo diet and Fitness program and have been amazed at the results. I am currently fairly strict (90% Primal) and have more than surpassed my goal losing 45 lbs at my low point and since then gaining about 10 Lbs of muscle and feel amazing.

I don't have any before pictures of me, as I was somewhat embarrassed to have any pictures taken with my shirt off, but here are a couple of photos. The first after about 4 months is when I was at my lowest body weight after eating strict low carb Paleo and doing primarily body weight exercises along with some interval training at the track. The second is after a year having changed my fitness program, focusing on weight training for a few months and eating more Primal with a higher carb macro.

It would be great to hear from any one else out there in their 60s or older who have had great results following the Paleo Diet and exercise lifestyle.

6 Months Paleo photo 2.jpg

John 1 year + Paleo #2.jpg

Feel free to visit my Facebook Paleo Diary, perhaps you will find it motivating. Good luck everyone!

Paleo Journey - Diary of my experience eating the Paleo Diet | Facebook
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Lookin' gooood!!!!

SandyTN is offline Junior Member
    Nice job...you look awesome, happy, and healthy! Congrats.

perennialpam is online now Senior Member
    You are looking much better than all my 60+ friends! Great job. You should be proud.

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    What do you eat and drink most days? Any cheats?

Paleobird Guest
    You're just a young whippersnapper. My 86 year old Dad has recently gone primal and is doing great. And my 81 year old best friend too. Both were diabetic, on statins and BP meds. Meds are gone as are all symptoms of diabetes for both of them.

Never to late to make a change for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleofan View Post
    What do you eat and drink most days? Any cheats?
    I usually Intermittent Fast from dinner until a late breakfast (16 hours) - so if I finish dinner at 7 pm, then I will eat around 11 am the next morning. Typical day begins with black coffee, a saute of onions, bell peppers and kale or spinach in coconut oil with 3 or 4 eggs and an avocado on the side. A couple of days a week I will add 3 or 4 slices of bacon. Mid afternoon I might have a can of sardines or perhaps an apple if hungry. Dinner is organic and local (if possible) grass fed meat, free range poultry or wild fish with a good salad and a cooked vegetable (I rotate brussel sprouts, yams, cauliflower, beets, broccoli and squash for variety). I will often have a glass of red wine with dinner and some dark chocolate for a treat a couple of times a week. I have been experimenting with other recipes but this is a typical day. Also I make up my own salad dressing mixing balsamic vinegar and olive oil with mustard which is very tasty. I always drink a large glass of water when I wake up and drink water with my meals and when thirsty during the day.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-16-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You're just a young whippersnapper. My 86 year old Dad has recently gone primal and is doing great. And my 81 year old best friend too. Both were diabetic, on statins and BP meds. Meds are gone as are all symptoms of diabetes for both of them.

Never to late to make a change for the better.
    That's wonderful, great to hear that they are no longer on meds! I am not taking any medication what so ever (never have except for the odd aspirin). BP is 110/75 down from 130/90 when I started. Refuse to take any statin drugs as I believe they are contributing to the dramatic increase in Alzheimers. No need anyway as my blood lipid levels are very good since I began following this diet.

In case you are wondering about exercise I do one 1 hour run a week, 1 interval session of sprints or hill repeats, 2 days a week I jog a half mile over to a park and do a variety of pull ups and chin ups, sit ups and push ups in a circuit format 4 sets and then jog home - all body weight exercises. In addition I do High Performance Yoga 2 or 3 times per week and recently began meditating consistantly. A couple of days a week I go for a 3 mile or longer walk or hike. I have taken a break from weight training for about 8 months but will soon re-introduce it to my fitness routine.
    Last edited by canuck416; 10-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast