Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Success at 60 page 40

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Not as fit as you but I am healthy and more fit than a lot of people over 60.
    Absolutely Nigel! I'll be reaching out to you directly in the next few months to get a short bio and picture.

Please "Like" my new Facebook page that focuses on Peak Performance in Fitness, Nutrition, Business and Sport Science - It's part of our social networking campaign to introduce people to a better blueprint for success in life - Thanks!

www.facebook.com/PeakPerformanceRadio

Interesting talk on one of the most basic Primal activities - Running. In this Podcast you will find out our about :
    1. How gait can be analyzed with video and accelrometry.
    2. That not all running shoes are built for function.
    3. Is barefoot running beneficial?
    4. Sustainable fitness lifestyle and realistic applications of running styles

Peak Performance Observational Gait of Running with David Brennan MS Oklahoma University Human Performance lab - Peak Performance Radio

Don't forget to build playful periods into your fitness training. At one time, maybe many years ago if you’re my age, we didn’t count sets or reps or worry about how many times we ran around the yard. We just did it. We ran and played and explored and jumped and threw and came in when it was dark. We simply played, and as we played we learned to use our bodies and grew stronger and better each time we did a new activity. This mindlessness, scientifically called the flow state by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in 1975, describes a mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in an activity. Athletes speak about rare, career defining moments where they were “in the zone” and it is this that they are referring to.

Think outside the box. Do a “Tough Mudder” (toughmudder.com). Create teams and have a tug of war Saturday. Organize a pick up road hockey game. Adding programs like Primal Move (primalmove.com) and MovNat (movant.com) will be sure to inject some fun and variety into your normal fitness routines.

Peak Performance Radio - Fitness

Time for a personal update on this Paleo Journey! I've been sticking to an old school body building type of routine for 3 months now and maintaining daily carb intakes between 75 and 150 gms per day. I've been eating more Primal than Paleo recently adding in some Greek yogurt, raw milk cheeses and goats milk cheese crumbles on my salads. The seasonal fruit season has passed and now we will be focusing on fall vegetables and making some hearty Paleo soups and stews. So far I've gained about 12 lbs of muscle and kept my body-fat under 11% (went from 165 to 177 lbs). I've equaled many strength PRs that I had not been able to do since my 20s and it's been very gratifying. (315 lb squat, 380 lbs. dead-lift, 255 lb bench press. Also now doing sets of pull-ups and dips with a 45 lb. plate) As mentioned in previous posts I've also added in some yoga (my biggest challenge) and meditation for a more holistic approach. Still sprint once or twice a week as well. Getting a little bored so I'm thinking about taking a month or two off from this routine and trying something new. Might jump into a CrossFit box or do some MovNat and body weight types of training. I'll keep everyone posted. Wishing everyone much success on their personal journey's to better health!
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-21-2013 at 02:17 PM.

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    This is awesome! Stop everything you're doing and watch this video...Be inspired to challenge yourself!

Never Leave the Playground from neverleavetheplayground.com - YouTube
    That was awesome. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to put some of his ideas to use right away, as there are a several new things I want to try and additional balance and confidence will really help.

My curiosity was also piqued when he stated that his memory improved. That would be wonderful.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    That was awesome. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to put some of his ideas to use right away, as there are a several new things I want to try and additional balance and confidence will really help.

My curiosity was also piqued when he stated that his memory improved. That would be wonderful.

Thanks again.
    I agree, very exciting potential here, definitely going to incorporate some of his training ideas in future programming.

A fellow Paleo Journeyer has started a new blog to share her experiences and hopefully inspire others. Take a few moments to check it out and show her some support. I am sure many of you will relate to her first blog...

My PaleoTastic Kitchen

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast